List of Award Recipients: 25th Annual GLAAD Media Awards, Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles, April 12, 2014
Los Angeles, Saturday, April 12, 2014 - GLAAD Media Award recipients were announced in 13 of this year's 29 media categories at the 25th Annual GLAAD Media Awards, presented nationally by Ketel One Vodka, Wells Fargo, and Hilton Worldwide, and locally by Delta Air Lines and Bud Light, at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles on Saturday night.
A complete press release with additional quotes from award recipients will be posted by 2 p.m. PT and photos from the event by 5 p.m. PT on Sunday, April 13, 2014 at glaad.org/mediaawards.
Following is a complete list of GLAAD Media Awards presented on stage, and the individuals that accepted the awards (accepters tentative):
- Vanguard Award: Jennifer Lopez (presented by Rita Moreno)
- Stephen F. Kolzak Award: Laverne Cox, star of Orange is the New Black (presented by Ellen Page)
- Pioneer Award: Norman Lear (presented by Wilson Cruz)
- International Advocate for Change Award: Manny de Guerre, founder of the Side by Side LGBT Film Festival in St. Petersburg, Russia (presented by Maria Menounos and Kelly Osbourne)
- Outstanding Documentary: TIE: Bridegroom (Virgil Films / OWN) [accepted by: Shane Bitney Crone and Linda Bloodworth-Thomason] and Call Me Kuchu (Cinedigm) [accepted by: co-directors Katherine Fairfax Wright, Malika Zouhali-Worrall, and Ugandan activist John "Longjones" Abdallah Wambere]
- Outstanding Drama Series: The Fosters (ABC Family) [accepted by: co-creators Peter Paige and Bradley Bredeweg with stars Sherri Saum and Teri Polo]
The following is a list of other award recipients announced at the 25th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles.
- Outstanding TV Movie or Mini-Series: Behind the Candelabra (HBO)
- Outstanding Reality Program: Big Freedia: Queen of Bounce (Fuse)
- Outstanding Daily Drama: Days of Our Lives (NBC)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: "LGBTQ in the Capital" (series) by Melissa Griffiths (Juneau Empire [Juneau, Alaska])
- Outstanding Digital Journalism – Multimedia: "We Are Here: LGBTI in Uganda" by Sunnivie Brydum, D. David Robinson (Advocate.com)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Tegan and Sara, Heartthrob (Warner Bros. Records)
- Outstanding Comic Book: Young Avengers, written by Kieron Gillen (Marvel Comics)
- Outstanding Talk Show Interview: TIE: "Debate por la igualdad" Al Punto (Univision) and "Decisión Histórica" Sin Límites con Elizabeth Espinosa (CNN Latino)
- Outstanding Local TV Journalism: "Natalia: rompiendo barreras" Noticiero Telemundo Arizona (KTAZ-39 [Phoenix, Ariz.])
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: "Decisión Histórica" Noticiero Telemundo (Telemundo)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism - Multimedia: "Eric y Juan, un matrimonio feliz a pesar de todo" by Fernando Mexia (EFE.com)
Additional awards will be presented at the GLAAD Media Awards event in New York on Saturday, May 3.
The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community and the issues that affect their lives. They also fund GLAAD's work to amplify stories from the LGBT community that build support for equality. GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released or broadcast between January 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013. To receive the latest updates on the GLAAD Media Awards, follow @glaad on Twitter and use the hashtag #glaadawards.