Resources for Transgender People in Crisis
Transgender people in crisis should contact the following resources:
- The Trevor Project's 24/7 Lifeline at 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386) or Trevor Chat, the Trevor Project's online messaging service
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255)
- Trans Lifeline at 877-565-8860
- National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) (advocacy)
- Transgender Law Center (TLC) (legal services and advocacy)
- Gender Proud (advocacy)
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project (SRLP) (legal services)
- Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund (TLDEF) (legal services)
- Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC) (advocacy)
- Trans People of Color Coalition (TPOCC) (advocacy)
- Trans Women of Color Collective (TWOCC) (advocacy)
- Black Trans Advocacy (advocacy)
- Trans Latina Coalition (advocacy)
- Trans Youth Family Allies (TYFA) (support services for families and trans youth)
- Gender Spectrum (support services for families and trans youth)
- TransTech Social Enterprises (economic empowerment)
- SPART*A (advocacy for trans military service members)
- Transgender American Veterans Association (advocacy for trans veterans)
- TransLife Center at Chicago House (support services)
Transgender Programs at LGBT Organizations
- GLAAD's Transgender Media Program (media advocacy)
- Transgender Support Network at PFLAG (support services)
- PFLAG's Transgender Ally campaign (advocacy)
- COLAGE Kids of Trans Community (support for kids of trans parents)
- The Task Force's Transgender Civil Rights Project (advocacy)
- HRC's transgender resources (advocacy)
- Gender Identity Project at the NYC LGBT Center (support services)
- Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD) Transgender Rights Project (legal services)
- National Center for Lesbian Rights - Transgender Law (legal services)
- L.A. LGBT Center's Transgender Economic Empowerment Project (economic empowerment)
- SF Transgender Economic Empowerment Initiative (economic empowerment)
- TransJustice at the Audre Lorde Project (advocacy)
General Information and Resources
- The full "Injustice at Every Turn" report, with breakdowns by race and ethnicity. "Injustice at Every Turn" is a survey of over 6,400 transgender people detailing the discrimination faced by this community.
- Transgender Lives: Your Stories is an interactive campaign created by The New York Times to allow transgender people to tell their own stories in their own words.
- I AM: Trans People Speak is a campaign created by the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC) and sponsored by GLAAD to raise awareness about the diversity of transgender communities. It lifts the voices of transgender individuals, as well as their families, friends, and allies.
- The Trans 100 is an annual list of 100 amazing and inspiring trans Americans who are visible within their communities.
- We Happy Trans is a website devoted to sharing positive stories from trans people everywhere.
- TSER, Trans Student Equality Resources, provides trans*-related information on school issues and supports efforts for creating policy change in school districts.
Know of a resource that might be added to this page? Contact GLAAD's Transgender Media Program.