LIST OF AWARD RECIPIENTS: 22ND ANNUAL GLAAD MEDIA AWARDS PRESENTED BY RÖKK VODKA MARRIOTT MARQUIS IN NEW YORK, MARCH 19, 2011
New York, March 19, 2011 – GLAAD Media Award recipients were announced in 25 of this year's 32 media categories at the 22nd Annual GLAAD Media Awards presented nationally by RÖKK Vodka and locally by American Airlines and Prudential at the Marriott Marquis Times Square in New York on Saturday night. Additional awards will be presented in Los Angeles on April 10 at the Westin Bonaventure, and in San Francisco on May 14 at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis.
A complete press release will be posted by 2 PM ET and photos from the event by 5 PM ET on Sunday, March 20, 2011 at www.glaad.org/mediaawards.
Following is a complete list of GLAAD Media Awards presented on stage, and the individuals that accepted the awards (accepters tentative):
- Excellence in Media Award: Russell Simmons
- Vito Russo Award: Ricky Martin
- Outstanding Drama Series: True Blood (HBO) [Accepted by: Denis O'Hare]
- Outstanding Individual Episode (in a series without a regular LGBT character): "Klaus & Greta" 30 Rock (NBC) [Accepted by: Tina Fey]
- Outstanding Digital Journalism - Multimedia: "Bridal Bliss: Aisha and Danielle" by Bobbi Misick (Essence.com) [Accepted by: Aisha Mills and Danielle Moodie, with Essence.com editor, Emil Wilbekin]
The following is a list of all other award recipients announced at the 22nd Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York.
- Outstanding Talk Show Episode: "Ricky Martin Coming Out as a Gay Man and a New Dad" The Oprah Winfrey Show (syndicated)
- Outstanding TV Journalism – Newsmagazine: "Gay Teen Suicides" (series) Anderson Cooper 360 (CNN)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: "Rutgers Student Tyler Clementi's Suicide Spurs Action Across U.S." by Judy Peet (The Star-Ledger [Newark, N.J.])
- Outstanding Newspaper Columnist: Frank Rich (The New York Times)
- Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage: Denver Post
- Outstanding Magazine Article: "What Happens When You Find the One...And He's Nothing – Nothing – Like You Expected?" by Allison Cooper (O, The Oprah Magazine)
- Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage: The Advocate/Out
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: "View From Washington" (series) by Kerry Eleveld (Advocate.com)
- Outstanding Blog: Joe. My. God. (http://joemygod.blogspot.com/)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Scissor Sisters, Night Work (Downtown Records)
- Outstanding Comic Book: X-Factor by Peter David (Marvel Comics)
- Outstanding Los Angeles Theater: Something Happened by L. Trey Wilson
- Outstanding New York Theater: Broadway & Off–Broadway: The Pride by Alexi Kaye Campbell
- Outstanding New York Theater: Off–Off Broadway: When Last We Flew by Harrison David Rivers
- Outstanding Novela: ¿Dónde está Elisa?(Telemundo)
- Outstanding Daytime Talk Show Episode: TIE: "Mamá vístete de hombre" Casos de Familia (Univision) and "La Proposición 8" Caso Cerrado (Telemundo)
- Outstanding Talk Show Interview: "Saliendo del closet después de los 30" El Show de Cristina (Univision)
- Outstanding TV Journalism – Newsmagazine: "En nombre del amor" Primer Impacto (Univision)
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: "Aumenta el hostigamiento" Despierta América (Univision)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: "Acosados hasta el punto del suicidio" by Rubén Moreno (La Opinión)
- Outstanding Magazine Article: "Estoy feliz de ser quien soy" by María Morales (People en Español)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: "Fedro llegó para quedarse" by Amy Linares (PadrisimoMagazine.com)
The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and the issues that affect their lives. GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released or broadcast between January 1, 2010 and December 31, 2010.
More information about the upcoming GLAAD Media Awards events in Los Angeles and San Francisco may be found at http://www.glaad.org/mediaawards. To receive the latest updates on the GLAAD Media Awards, follow @glaad and use the hashtag #glaadawards.