List of Award Recipients: 23rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards Presented by Ketel One and Wells Fargo
Please share our blog post: Dancing with the Stars, Oprah, Lady Gaga among GLAAD Media Award recipients in New York
Go to www.glaad.org/mediawards for a full recap.
New York, March 24, 2012 - GLAAD Media Award recipients were announced in 27 of this year's 35 media categories at the 23rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards presented nationally by Ketel One and Wells Fargo and locally by Delta Airlines and Prudential at the Marriott Marquis Times Square in New York on Saturday night. Additional awards will be presented in Los Angeles on April 21 at the Westin Bonaventure, and in San Francisco on June 2 at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis.
A complete press release will be posted by 2 PM ET and photos from the event by 5 PM ET on Sunday, March 25, 2012 at http://www.glaad.org/mediaawards.
Following is a complete list of GLAAD Media Awards presented on stage, and the individuals that accepted the awards (accepters tentative):
- Vito Russo Award: Craig Zadan & Neil Meron (presented by Bernadette Peters and John Stamos)
- Special Recognition Award: openly gay 17-year-old anti-bullying advocate, Katy Butler (presented by Harvey Weinstein)
- Outstanding Film- Limited Release: Pariah (Focus Features) [accepted by: Adepero Oduye and Kim Wayans]
- Outstanding Reality Program: Dancing with the Stars (ABC) [accepted by: Carson Kressley]
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: "Battle Against Bullying" ABC World News with Diane Sawyer (ABC) [accepted by: reporter Josh Elliott]
- Outstanding Magazine Article: TIE: "15th Anniversary of the Passage of the Defense of Marriage Act" (series) by Chris Geidner (Metro Weekly) [accepted by: Chris Geidner] and "Black & Gay in Corporate America" by Carolyn M. Brown (Black Enterprise) [accepted by: Carolyn M. Brown]
The following is a list of all other award recipients announced at the 23rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York.
- Outstanding TV Movie Or Mini Series: Cinema Verite (HBO)
- Outstanding Talk Show Episode: "Coming Out on the Oprah Show: 25 Years of Unforgettable Guests" The Oprah Winfrey Show (syndicated)
- Outstanding TV Journalism - Newsmagazine: "The 'Sissy Boy' Experiments" Anderson Cooper 360 (CNN)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: "Led by the Child Who Simply Knew" by Bella English (The Boston Globe)
- Outstanding Newspaper Columnist: Frank Bruni (The New York Times)
- Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage: The New York Times
- Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage: The Advocate/Out
- Outstanding Digital Journalism-Multimedia: "Injustice at Every Turn" (ITLMedia.org)
- Outstanding Blog: Towleroad (http://www.towleroad.com/) and Mombian (http://www.mombian.com)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Lady Gaga, Born This Way (Interscope Records)
- Outstanding Comic Book: Batwoman by J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman (DC Comics)
- Outstanding Los Angeles Theatre: No Word in Guyanese for Me by Wendy Graf
- Outstanding New York Theatre: Broadway & Off Broadway: The Intelligent Homosexual's Guide to Capitalism and Socialism with a Key to the Scriptures by Tony Kushner
- Outstanding New York Theatre: Off-Off Broadway: Southern Comfort book and lyrics by Dan Collins, music by Julianne Wick Davis
- Outstanding Daytime Talk Show Episode: "Lesbianas celebran 10 años" Caso Cerrado (Telemundo)
- Outstanding Talk Show Interview: "Entrevista con Raquel Gómez y Mony Ruiz Velasco" Al Punto (Univision)
- Outstanding TV Journalism - Newsmagazine: "Asesino" Primer Impacto (Univision)
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: "Ángeles del cambio" Noticiero 34 (KMEX TV-34 [Los Angeles, Calif.])
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: TIE: "Casamiento e hijos biológicos para pareja gay hispana de EEUU" by Claudia Torrens ( Associated Press) and "Madre hay una sola, no necesariamente" by Virginia Gaglianone (La Opinión)
- Outstanding Magazine Article: "Nueva York ♥ la igualdad" by Michelle Oyola (People en Español)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: "Las 7 señales de un niño transgénero" by Paula Andalo (Univision.com)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Ricky Martin, Música + Alma + Sexo (Sony Music Latin)
- Special Recognition: El Diario la Prensa
The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and the issues that affect their lives. GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released or broadcast between January 1, 2011 and December 31, 2011.
More information about the upcoming GLAAD Media Awards events in Los Angeles and San Francisco may be found at http://www.glaad.org/mediaawards. To receive the latest updates on the GLAAD Media Awards, follow @glaad and use the hashtag #glaadawards.