New York, Saturday, May 3, 2014 – GLAAD Media Award recipients were announced in 16 of this year's 29 media categories at the 25th Annual GLAAD Media Awards, presented nationally by Ketel One Vodka, Wells Fargo, and Hilton Worldwide, and locally by Delta Air Lines and Bud Light, at the Waldorf Astoria New York on Saturday night.
A complete press release with additional quotes from award recipients will be posted by 2 p.m. ET and photos from the event by 5 p.m. ET on Sunday, May 4, 2014 at glaad.org/mediaawards.
Following is a complete list of GLAAD Media Awards presented on stage, and the individuals that accepted the awards (accepters tentative):
- Vito Russo Award: George Takei (presented by Stafford Arima, director of the upcoming Broadway musical Allegiance starring George Takei)
- Outstanding Film - Limited Release: Concussion (RADiUS-The Weinstein Company) [accepted by: Robin Weigert and director Stacie Passon]
- Outstanding Comedy Series: Orange Is the New Black (Netflix) [accepted by: Laverne Cox, Laura Prepon, Natasha Lyonne, Samira Wiley, Dascha Polanco, Selenis Leyva, and Yael Stone]
- Outstanding Individual Episode (in a series without a regular LGBT character): "Snow Angels" Elementary(CBS) [accepted by: guest star Candis Cayne, a transgender actress who portrayed Ms. Hudson in the episode]
The following is a list of other award recipients announced at the 25th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York.
- Outstanding Film – Wide Release: Philomena (The Weinstein Company)
- Outstanding Talk Show Episode: "First Openly Gay NBA Player Jason Collins and his Family" Oprah's Next Chapter (OWN)
- Outstanding TV Journalism – Newsmagazine: "Transgender at 11: Listening to Jazz" 20/20 (ABC)
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: "Gay Rights at Work" MSNBC Live (MSNBC)
- Outstanding Magazine Article: "The Hidden War Against Gay Teens" by Alex Morris (Rolling Stone)
- Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage: The New Yorker
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: "Sex, Lies and HIV: When What You Don’t Tell Your Partner is a Crime" by Sergio Hernandez (Buzzfeed.com / ProPublica.org)
- Outstanding Blog: The New Civil Rights Movement
- Outstanding Novela: Amores Verdaderos (Univision)
- Outstanding Daytime Talk Show Episode: "Una pareja gay celebrara el Día del Padre luego de luchar por sus derechos" Despierta América (Univision)
- Outstanding TV Journalism – Newsmagazine: "Rompiendo Estereotipos" Aquí y Ahora (Univision)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: "Desiguales por imperativo legal" by Jose Ángel Gonzalo García de León (Diario Las Américas)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: "Richard Blanco: el poeta latino y gay que conquisto a Barack Obama" by Daniel Basteiro (voces.huffingtonpost.com)
The Los Angles GLAAD Media Awards were held on April 12 at the Beverly Hilton. For video, photos, and more, visit: glaad.org/mediaawards/recap To receive the latest updates on the GLAAD Media Awards, follow @glaad on Twitter and use the hashtag #glaadawards.
The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community and the issues that affect their lives. They also fund GLAAD's work to amplify stories from the LGBT community that build support for equality. GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released or broadcast between January 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013.