New York, Saturday, March 16, 2013 - GLAAD Media Award recipients were announced in 16 of this year's 33 media categories at the 24th Annual GLAAD Media Awards, presented nationally by Ketel One Vodka and Wells Fargo, and locally by Delta Air Lines, at the New York Marriott Marquis on Saturday night. Additional award recipients will be announced in Los Angeles on April 20 at the JW Marriott, and in San Francisco on May 11 at the Hilton San Francisco - Union Square.
A complete press release with quotes from award recipients will be posted by 2 p.m. ET and photos from the event by 5 p.m. ET on Sunday, March 17, 2013 at glaad.org/mediaawards.
Following is a complete list of GLAAD Media Awards presented on stage:
- Vito Russo Award: Anderson Cooper (presented by Madonna)
- Outstanding Drama Series: Smash (NBC)
- Outstanding Documentary: How to Survive a Plague (Sundance Selects)
- Outstanding Reality Program: The Amazing Race (CBS)
GLAAD also presented the Ally Award to film director Brett Ratner and premiered a public service announcement (PSA) campaign helmed by Ratner. The GLAAD "Coming Out for Equality" PSA series features a diverse group of straight celebrities and athletes "coming out of the closet" as supporters of equality and calling for other Americans to speak out.
The following is a list of other award recipients announced at the 24th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York.
- Outstanding TV Journalism - Newsmagazine: "Being Transgender in America" Melissa Harris-Perry (MSNBC)
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: "Obama Endorses Marriage Equality" Good Morning America (ABC)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: "Game Changer" by Andy Mannix (City Pages [Minneapolis, Minn.])
- Outstanding Newspaper Columnist: Frank Bruni (The New York Times)
- Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage: The Boston Globe
- Outstanding Magazine Article: "School of Hate" by Sabrina Rubin Erdely (Rolling Stone)
- Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage: The Advocate/Out
- Outstanding New York Theatre: Broadway & Off Broadway: The Whale by Samuel D. Hunter
- Outstanding New York Theatre: Off-Off Broadway: From White Plains written by Michael Perlman in collaboration with Fault Line Theatre
- Outstanding Talk Show Interview: "Entrevista con Orlando Cruz" Titulares Telemundo (Telemundo)
- Outstanding Magazine Article: "Amor genuino" by Cristina Saralegui (People en Español)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: "Operación tolerancia: la lucha contra la homofobia en los medios hispanos" by Lilia Luciano (voces.huffingtonpost.com)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism - Multimedia: "2013: Año clave para la comunidad gay" by Ramón Frisneda (ElDiarioNY.com)
The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and the issues that affect their lives. GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released or broadcast between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012.
More information about the upcoming GLAAD Media Awards events in Los Angeles and San Francisco may be found at http://www.glaad.org/mediaawards. To receive the latest updates on the GLAAD Media Awards, follow @glaad on Twitter and use the hashtag #glaadawards.