March 28, 2009, New York, NY - GLAAD Media Award recipients were announced in 29 of this year's 41 media categories at the 20th Annual GLAAD Media Awards presented by IBM and Prudential at New York's Marriott Marquis on Saturday night. Additional awards will be presented in Los Angeles on April 18 at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live, and in San Francisco on May 9 at the Hilton San Francisco.
A complete press release will be posted by 1 PM ET and photos from the event by 4 PM ET on Sunday, March 29, 2009 at www.glaad.org/mediaawards.
Following is a complete list of GLAAD Media Awards presented on stage, and the individuals that accepted the awards (accepters tentative):
- Excellence in Media Award: Tyra Banks (presented by Clay Aiken)
- Vito Russo Award: Suze Orman (presented by T.R. Knight)
- Outstanding Film – Limited Release: TIE: Noah's Arc: Jumping the Broom (Logo Features/New Open Door Productions) [Accepted by: Patrik-Ian Polk, Darryl Stephens and Jensen Atwood] and Shelter (Regent Releasing) [Accepted by: Jonah Markowitz, Brad Rowe and Trevor Wright]
- Outstanding Documentary: A Jihad For Love (First Run Features) [Accepted by: Sandi DuBowski and Parvez Sharma]
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: "Special Comment: Gay Marriage is a Question of Love" Countdown with Keith Olbermann (MSNBC) [Accepted by: Keith Olbermann]
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: "Gay Athletes Are Making Their Mark" by LZ Granderson(ESPN.com) [Accepted by: LZ Granderson]
- Outstanding Spanish-Language Magazine Overall Coverage: People en Español [Accepted by: Angel Linares, Judith Torrea and Ernesto Sanchez]
- Special Recognition: Phil Donahue (presented by Cherry Jones)
- Special Recognition: The Laramie Project, 10 Years Later - The Lasting Legacy of Matthew Shepard(Sirius XM Radio) [Accepted by: Romaine Patterson and Derek Hartley] (presented by Stockard Channing)
The following is a list of all other award recipients announced at the 20th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York.
- Outstanding Daily Drama: As the World Turns (CBS)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: "Owning His Gay Identity – at 15 Years Old" by Theresa Vargas (The Washington Post)
- Outstanding Newspaper Columnist: Leonard Pitts, Jr. (The Miami Herald)
- Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage: The New York Times
- Outstanding Magazine Article: "Let God Love Gene Robinson" by Andrew Corsello (GQ)
- Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage: Newsweek
- Outstanding Digital Journalism – Multimedia: "Is Gay the New Black?" by Jessica Bennett and Jennifer Molina (Newsweek.com)
- Outstanding Music Artist: k.d. lang, Watershed
- Outstanding Comic Book: Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Drew Goddard, Jeph Loeb and Joss Whedon (Dark Horse Comics)
- Outstanding New York Theater: Broadway & Off-Broadway: Wig Out! by Tarell Alvin McCraney
- Outstanding New York Theater: Off-Off Broadway: Arias with a Twist by Joey Arias and Basil Twist
- Outstanding Novela: Alma de Hierro (Telefutura)
- Outstanding Drama Series: Capadocia (HBO Latino)
- Outstanding Individual Episode (in a series without a regular LGBT character): "Duerme, mi bien" Mujer, Casos de la Vida Real (Univision)
- Outstanding Daytime Talk Show Episode: "Juntos hasta el final" Caso Cerrado (Telemundo)
- Outstanding Talk Show Interview: "La primera boda de pareja de transexuales" Don Francisco Presenta(Univision)
- Outstanding Celebrity News Segment: "La Proposición 8" Paparazzi TV (Mega TV)
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: "Drama de jóvenes hispanos gay: Rechazados por ser gay"Noticiero Telemundo (Telemundo)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: "Confesiones de padre: Hombres gay revelan su orientación a sus hijos" by Lucero Amador Miranda (La Opinión [Los Ángeles])
- Outstanding Newspaper Columnist: Roberto Hernández (Alianza Metropolitan News [San José, CA])
- Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage: La Opinión [Los Ángeles]
- Outstanding Magazine Article: "Contra viento y marea" by Isis Sauceda and Judith Torrea (People en Español)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: "Cuba discutirá derechos gay" by Fernando Ravsberg (BBCMundo.com)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Giovanni Falchetti, Junto a tí
The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community and the issues that affect their lives. GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released or broadcast between January 1, 2008 and December 31, 2008.
More information about the upcoming GLAAD Media Awards events in Los Angeles and San Francisco may be found at http://www.glaad.org/mediaawards.