Chaz Bono Leaves Dancing with the Stars, but Still a Great Victory for Transgender Visibility
Statement from GLAAD, October 25, 2011:
"Chaz bravely put on his dancing shoes and became a fan favorite, showing millions of viewers that he's like any other guy," said GLAAD Acting President Mike Thompson. "Though it's sad to see him go, Chaz has helped countless people better understand what it means to be transgender. He should be commended for both his courage and determination. We hope Chaz's time on 'Dancing with the Stars' is just the beginning in a long line of transgender-inclusive programming across the media."
Support Chaz Bono: Let's Go #ProBono
Transgender visibility is about to get a major boost on television this fall, following the announcement that author and activist Chaz Bono is joining the fun-filled and highly rated ABC program Dancing With the Stars. Starting September 19, Chaz will join 11 other celebs in putting their fancy footwork to the test on the ballroom floor.
Many media outlets and personalities have celebrated his inclusion on the show, and offered strong words of support. Unfortunately some anti-LGBT activists are reacting with hurtful messages and dangerous misinformation about the trans community, and encouraging viewers not to vote for Chaz simply for having the courage to be who he is.
This is this time when Chaz and all the transgender people in our community need your support. Let's send the message back that transgender people are a wonderful part of the fabric of our society, and who deserves the same things as all Americans: respect, love, success, and, yes...the right to show off their skills on the dance floor!
How to Support Chaz
SIGN UP / WATCH / POST and SHARE
- SHOW YOUR SUPPORT and sign up below to receive weekly reminders about Chaz on Dancing with the Stars.
- WATCH ABC's Dancing with the Stars and VOTE for your favorite dancer. See information below on how to vote for Chaz (from www.chazbono.net).
- POST and SHARE about your support on Facebook and Twitter
- Facebook: RSVP to this event, then invite your friends! Also, please post this Facebook status: I'm voting for Chaz Bono on Dancing with the Stars tonight. Join me in showing support for the transgender community! http://glaad.org/probono
- Twitter: I'm #ProBono! Support @ChazBono on #DWTS & educate others about the #transgender community! More @glaad: http://glaad.org/probono
YOU CAN ALSO --
- VISIT Chaz's fan page and his website and let him know that he got your vote!
- REPORT media coverage that incorrectly speaks about Chaz and REPORT comments on Facebook or message boards that are violent or offensive. And POST your supportive comments!
- LEARN about transgender people. Each week GLAAD will profile another person who happens to be transgender. Check out GLAAD's transgender resources.
- ATTEND a viewing party in your area. Advocates including Robin Tyler and organizations including GetEQUAL and the Transgender Law Center have already started organizing parties open to everyone! And here's a map with all the parties linked and listed!
- WRITE IN with your story and your support for Chaz by posting a message.
The time is now to show your support for the transgender people in our community!
Information on how to vote for "Team Schwaz" is provided by ChazBono.net
When to vote:
Phone lines, text votes (AT&T customers only) and online voting will open at the top of each performance show so that viewers can vote for their favorites. Phone and text lines will stay open until 30 minutes after the end of the show in your local time zone. Online voting will remain open until 11AM (Eastern Time)/ 8AM (Pacific Time) the following day.
How to vote:
1. Phone: Dial 1-800-VOTE4-12
2. Text: (AT&T Customers Only) Text the word "VOTE" to (to be annouced) from your AT&T phone.
3. Online: Go to www.abc.com and sign in using your Facebook or Twitter Account. If you do not have one, create an ABC.com account.
4. iPhone App: Tap on "App Store" icon; Tap "Search"; Search for Dancing with the Stars; Tap the Dancing with the Stars icon in the search results. *In-app voting feature only available on iPhone to AT&T customers. Verizon and AT&T users will also be able to dial in their votes through the Click to Call option.
For more information on voting go to: http://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/about-voting
For the Media
Are you a member of the media reporting on Chaz? Check out GLAAD's media resources and press release with list of potential interview subjects!
Also check out our Media Reference Guide's transgender section.
Sign up below to receive reminders to vote for Chaz each week. Thank you!