23rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards Tip Sheet
TOTAL NUMBER OF NOMINEES: 151
(116 English, 35 Spanish-language)
TOTAL NUMBER OF GLAAD MEDIA AWARDS CATEGORIES: 35
(25 English, 10 Spanish-language)
CRITERIA FOR NOMINATION:
GLAAD Media Awards nominees are selected by Nominating Juries using the following four criteria:
- Fair, Accurate and Inclusive Representations – Rather than portraying the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community in broad stereotypes, the project deals with the characters or themes in a fair, accurate, and multi-dimensional manner. Inclusive means that the diversity of the LGBT community is represented.
- Boldness and Originality – The project breaks new ground by exploring LGBT subject matter in non-traditional ways and handles the LGBT content in a fresh and original manner.
- Impact – The project has significant cultural impact. The media project dramatically increases the cultural dialogue about LGBT issues, or reaches an audience that is not regularly exposed to LGBT images and issues.
- Overall Quality – A project of extremely high quality adds significance to the images and issues portrayed and draws more viewers or readers to the material. Fair, accurate and inclusive images may be weakened when they are part of a poor-quality project.
FACTS ABOUT THE NOMINEES:
- Several GLAAD Media Award nominees have also received nominations from the Golden Globe Awards (Albert Nobbs, The Beginners, The Big C, Cinema Verite, Glee, J. Edgar, Modern Family), the Independent Film Spirit Awards (Circumstance, Gun Hill Road, Pariah, We Were Here) and the SAG Awards (Hot in Cleveland).
- The transgender community is represented in nominees like Gun Hill Road (Motion Film Group), Degrassi (TeenNick), Becoming Chaz (OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network), Two Spirits (PBS), Dancing with the Stars (ABC), "Chaz Bono" Late Night with David Letterman (CBS), "Children & Teens Caught in the Wrong Body" Anderson (syndicated), "Kye Allums" Outside the Lines (ESPN), "Led by the Child Who Simply Knew" by Bella English (The Boston Globe), "Transitions" by Eliza Gray (The New Republic), and "The Secret I Don't Want to Keep Anymore" by Janet Mock as told to Kierna Mayo (Marie Claire). Both Albert Nobbs (Roadside Attractions) and Tomboy (Rocket Releasing) offer compelling and groundbreaking stories about gender.
- Both The Late Show with David Letterman and Conan received nominations for Outstanding Talk Show Episode, making them the first late-night talk shows to receive a GLAAD Media Award nomination. Letterman's in-depth interview with Chaz Bono is being recognized, along with a November episode of Conan O'Brien's show in which he officiated the wedding of longtime costume designer Scott Cronick and his partner David Gorshein.
- Several nominees featured portrayals of LGBT youth including Days of Our Lives (NBC), Degrassi (TeenNick), Drop Dead Diva (Lifetime), Glee (FOX), The Glee Project (Oxygen), Gun Hill Road (Motion Film Group), Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family), Shameless (Showtime), and Tomboy (Rocket Releasing).
- Three of this year's nominees feature transgender author and activist Chaz Bono: Becoming Chaz, Dancing with the Stars, and "Chaz Bono" Late Night with David Letterman.
- The nominated documentary Two Spirits addresses a subject all-too-rare in mainstream media: the lives of Native American people who identify as LGBT and/or as Two Spirit. It aired on PBS as part of the Independent Lens series.
- The New York Times received four nominations, in all three print newspaper categories: Outstanding Newspaper Columnist (Frank Bruni and Maureen Dowd), Outstanding Newspaper Article ("Even on Religious Campuses, Students Fight for Gay Identity" by Erik Eckholm), and Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage.
- Rod McCullom's article in Ebony, "Making it Work," received a nomination for Outstanding Magazine Article, and his personal blog, Rod 2.0, received a nomination for Outstanding Blog.
Focus Features (2)
Roadside Attractions (2)
Broadcast Networks [19 total]
Cable Networks [23 total]
Print & Digital Journalism
The New York Times (4) / NYTimes.com (1)
The Boston Globe (2)
Salt Lake Tribune (2)
The New Republic (1) / TheNewRepublic.com (1)
Comic Book Publisher
DC Comics (2)
Marvel Comics (2)
CNN en Español (2)
Print & Digital Journalism
Lauren Peteroy, BWR
Kelly Striewski, BWR
Rich Ferraro, GLAAD