Youth Engagement Internship- New York
GLAAD’s Youth Engagement Intern will support the work of the Strategist, Youth Engagement by developing and managing new projects, monitoring and providing logistical support for current programs, and engaging in our grassroots youth advocacy efforts.
The Youth Engagement Intern will support GLAAD’s outreach to LGBTQ organizations/groups on college and university campuses nationally, working with LGBT and non-LGBTQ student leaders, activists, and journalists at campus newspapers and online publications, with an overall focus on building a database of young adults who are interested in GLAAD’s work.
The Youth Engagement Intern reports to the Strategist, Youth Engagement in GLAAD’s New York office.
- Applicants should have a demonstrated interest in local grassroots activism, progressive communications, or advocacy work around issues of LGBTQ equality.
- Those involved in LGBTQ Pride organizations, Gay-Straight Alliances, and other identity-based clubs are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Specialization in youth-oriented education and programming considered a plus.
- Be well-versed in social media including Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Reddit.
- Internet research skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
All GLAAD interns are required to be students attending an institution with courses leading to a degree, certificate or diploma, such as college or graduate school. Interns must have graduated from high school. Internships are 8-20 hours/week during the school year and 15-20 hours/week during the summer and usually last twelve weeks. Internships are unpaid and must be completed in the office during the regular hours of 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. with occasional evening or weekend hours required for certain internships. Please indicate hours of availability and date available to start in the cover letter. This internship is unpaid.
Name: Human Resources (no phone calls, please)
The following MUST be included in your application:
1. A cover letter outlining your interest and experience specific to this position
2. A current resume
The title of the position ("Youth Engagement Intern ") MUST appear in the first line of the email. GLAAD will accept applications until filled.
- GLAAD does not have the ability to provide relocation benefits to interested parties.
- GLAAD is a business casual dress environment.
- Candidates MUST be able to pass a criminal background check.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified.
- Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
- This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Selections are made as the applicant pool allows and continue until the position is filled.