GLAAD’s Trans Issues Intern will work with the News and Field Media arm of GLAAD's Programs team, which actively engages with journalists in print, broadcast, radio and online outlets to ensure fair, accurate and inclusive media coverage of the LGBT community.
The Trans Issues Intern will interface with grassroots community organizations and individuals, fight defamation in the media, and provide support and information regarding key issues facing the trans community.
The Trans Issues Intern will also assist with monitoring media outlets, responding to problematic and defamatory media coverage, conducting research, supporting media outreach and follow-up, drafting news items for GLAAD's website and blog, supporting ongoing projects, and performing other tasks as needed.
- Applicants should have a demonstrated interest in progressive communications, local and grassroots activism or advocacy work around issues of trans equality.
- Those with experience in journalism, communications or grassroots advocacy or organizing are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Some experience and a working knowledge and understanding of the media and its history of covering trans issues a plus.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Internet research skills
All GLAAD interns are required to be students attending an institution with courses leading to a degree, certificate or diploma, such as college or graduate school. Interns must have graduated from high school. Internships are 8-20 hours/week during the school year and 15-20 hours/week during the summer and usually last twelve weeks. Internships are unpaid and must be completed in the office during the regular hours of 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. with occasional evening or weekend hours required for certain internships. Please indicate hours of availability and date available to start in the cover letter.
Name: Human Resources (no phone calls, please)
The following MUST be included in your application:
1. A cover letter outlining your interest and experience specific to this position
2. A current resume
The title of the position ("Trans Issues Intern ") MUST appear in the first line of the email. GLAAD will accept applications until filled.
- GLAAD does not have the ability to provide relocation benefits to interested parties.
- GLAAD is a business casual dress environment.
- Candidates MUST be able to pass a criminal background check.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified.
- Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
- This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Selections are made as the applicant pool allows and continue until the position is filled.