The GLAAD Special Events Intern (New York) will have the opportunity to gain experience in event management and fundraising in a professional work environment during a 12-week internship with GLAAD. Reporting to the Special Events Coordinator, the Special Events Intern is responsible for tasks directly related to the east coast Community Events Program, 2013 GLAAD Media Awards, and supporting GLAAD's Special Events team. The Special Events Intern will assist with such areas as auction outreach, corporate research, event management, marketing/ promotion of events, gift bag solicitation, administrative tasks, and other duties as assigned including meeting fundraising goals for the events.
GLAAD's Media Awards series are an annual series of events that allow GLAAD to build new relationships, cultivate existing relationships, and share our work and accomplishments with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) communities nationwide on a one on one basis, giving GLAAD and our corporate partners the opportunity to directly connect with the community.
- Work with the Special Event Coordinator to identify, solicit and secure auction and gift bag items in order to meet each community event auction and gift bag goal.
- Coordinate mailings related to host committees, auctions and gift bags.
- Maintain current information and submit updates for Community Event web pages.
- Research community organizations, media outlets, and corporate partners in local cities for potential partnerships.
- Work with our Director of PR to promote and market the events.
- Aid in the coordination of event logistics, vendor management, etc.
- Administrative duties as assigned.
- Interest in fundraising, events, media, and LGBT issues
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Willingness and ability to work well with others
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (PC and MAC experience a plus)
- Polished written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of and commitment to the LGBT community
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Must be able and willing to pick up 40lbs
All GLAAD interns are required to be students attending an institution with courses leading to a degree, certificate or diploma, such as college or graduate school. Interns must have graduated from high school. Internships are 8-20 hours/week during the school year and 15-20 hours/week during the summer and usually last twelve weeks. Internships are unpaid and must be completed in the office during the regular hours of 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. with occasional evening or weekend hours required for certain internships. Please indicate hours of availability and date available to start in the cover letter.
Name: Human Resources (no phone calls, please)
The following MUST be included in your application:
1. A cover letter outlining your interest and experience specific to this position
2. A current resume
The title of the position (such as "NY Special Events Intern") MUST appear in the first line of the email. GLAAD will accept applications until filled.
- GLAAD does not have the ability to provide relocation benefits to interested parties.
- GLAAD is a business casual dress environment.
- Candidates MUST be able to pass a criminal background check.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified.
- Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
- This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Selections are made as the applicant pool allows and continue until the position is filled.
GLAAD is an Equal Opportunity Employer