Media Awards Communications Internship- Los Angeles
This Intern will work directly with GLAAD's Associate Director of Communications, GLAAD Media Awards on the 28th Annual GLAAD Media Awards. As a vital part of GLAAD's programmatic work, the GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor the media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the LGBT community and the issues that affect their lives.
The Intern will spend time on the nominee selection process for the 28th Annual GLAAD Media Awards. Duties will include researching and critiquing potential nominees, processing submitted materials, researching and writing nominee descriptions and special honoree bios, writing and proofreading press releases, blog posts and social media copy, assist with talent and red carpet logistics. This internship is an excellent opportunity for a candidate looking to gain first-hand experience of a major public relations and fundraising event.
The GLAAD Media Awards Communications Intern reports to the Associate Director of Communications, GLAAD Media Awards in GLAAD's Los Angeles office. The position is available during the fall and spring semesters, and will end 12 weeks after the start date.
Public Relations, Mass Media, Communication or Journalism majors a plus - any may apply. The ideal applicant is articulate, a motivated and independent thinker, good at taking direction, and has strong problem-solving and media criticism skills.
Applicants should also have:
- Knowledge and understanding of entertainment and news media.
- Knowledge of and commitment to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Computer proficiency in word processing, database work, email, and Internet research.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple tasks to meet deadlines, and desire to be a self-starter.
- Ability to work well and creatively in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Inclusiveness is a vital part of GLAAD's work. Candidates must have skills necessary to collaborate within a diverse and inclusive environment.
All GLAAD interns are required to be students attending an institution with courses leading to a degree, certificate or diploma, such as college or graduate school. Interns must have graduated from high school. Internships are 8-20 hours/week during the school year and 15-20 hours/week during the summer and usually last twelve weeks. Internships must be completed in the office during the regular hours of 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. with occasional evening or weekend hours required for certain internships. Please indicate hours of availability and date available to start in the cover letter. This internship is unpaid.
Name: Human Resources (no phone calls, please)
The following MUST be included in your application:
1. A cover letter outlining your interest and experience specific to this position
2. A current resume
The title of the position (such as “Media Awards Program Intern”) MUST appear in the first line of the email. GLAAD will accept applications until filled.
- GLAAD does not have the ability to provide relocation benefits to interested parties.
- GLAAD is a business casual dress environment.
- Candidates MUST be able to pass a criminal background check.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified.
- Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
- This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Selections are made as the applicant pool allows and continue until the position is filled.