This is an exciting opportunity to work on the media coverage and support for LGBT people internationally. The International News Intern will work directly with GLAAD's News team and is primarily responsible for: supporting GLAAD's Global Voices program through researching and documenting trends and developments in international LGBT issues; providing support to the News team through making and maintaining contacts with LGBT people and organizations globally, researching international LGBT laws and trends, writing blog posts, maintaining databases, organizing materials, and other tasks as assigned; as well as providing research support on deadline for breaking stories (news contacts, past stories, transcripts, video clips). The intern will also collaborate with the Director of News on numerous other media activities including brainstorming, strategic story pitching for high-profile media outlets, and providing resources to news outlets.
- An extremely positive attitude
- A demonstrated interest in advocacy work around LGBT and progressive issues, progressive communications, international studies, or journalism.
- Exceptional research and writing skills.
- Computer proficiency in word processing, database work, email and Internet research
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of international news and trends.
- Knowledge of, and commitment to, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues.
- The ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ages, ethnicities and sexual identities.
- A willingness to learn, grow and be inspired to greatness.
All GLAAD interns are required to be students attending an institution with courses leading to a degree, certificate or diploma, such as college or graduate school or have had no more than six months lapse between educational courses. Interns must have graduated from high school. Internships are 8-20 hours/week during the school year and 15-20 hours/week during the summer and usually last twelve weeks. Internships must be completed in the office during the regular hours of 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. with occasional evening or weekend hours required for certain internships. Please indicate hours of availability and date available to start in the cover letter.
Name: Human Resources (no phone calls, please)
The following MUST be included in your application:
- A cover letter outlining your interest and experience specific to this position
- A current resume
The title of the position (such as "International News Intern") MUST appear in the first line of the email. GLAAD will accept applications until filled.
- GLAAD does not have the ability to provide relocation benefits to interested parties.
- GLAAD is a business casual dress environment.
- Candidates MUST be able to pass a criminal background check.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all intern duties performed by the personnel so classified.
- Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
- This intern description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Critical features of this internship are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Selections are made as the applicant pool allows and continue until the position is filled.