The Foundation Relations Intern (Los Angeles) will have the opportunity to gain experience in foundation relations and fundraising in a professional work environment during a 12-week internship with GLAAD. Reporting to the Director of Foundation Relations, the Foundation Relations Intern is responsible for tasks directly related to national and local fundraising. The Foundation Relations Intern will assist with such areas as foundation solicitation and management, prospect research, grant writing, database maintenance, administrative tasks, and other duties as assigned.
- Work with the Director of Foundation Relations to research, identify and solicit foundation partners for GLAAD’s programmatic work.
- Coordinate mailings related to foundation relations.
- Maintain current information and submit updates for foundation partners.
- Prepare documents for donor meetings.
- Maintain and update internal foundation fundraising tracking systems.
The ideal candidate will have had previous internship experience or coursework related to non-profit fundraising and grant writing and/or a strong background in writing.
The successful applicant will be:
- A self-starter and creative thinker with interest and experience in foundation relations.
- Computer proficient in word processing, database work (Raisers Edge preferred), email and Internet research. Knowledge of Microsoft Office (PC and MAC experience a plus).
- Genuinely concerned and conversant about LGBT issues and have a passion and desire to make a difference.
- Able to work collaboratively and effectively with people of diverse races, ages, ethnicities and sexual identities.
- Interest in fundraising, media and LGBT issues.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Polished written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, with limited supervision.
All GLAAD interns are required to be students attending an institution with courses leading to a degree, certificate or diploma, such as college or graduate school. Interns must have graduated from high school. Internships are 8-20 hours/week during the school year and 15-20 hours/week during the summer and usually last twelve weeks. Internships must be completed in the office during the regular hours of 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. with occasional evening or weekend hours required for certain internships. Please indicate hours of availability and date available to start in the cover letter. This internship is unpaid.
Name: Human Resources (no phone calls, please)
The following MUST be included in your application:
1. A cover letter outlining your interest and experience specific to this position
2. A current resume
3. The title of the position (such as "LA Foundation Relations Intern") MUST appear in the first line of the email. GLAAD will accept applications until filled.
- GLAAD does not have the ability to provide relocation benefits to interested parties.
- GLAAD is a business casual dress environment.
- Candidates MUST be able to pass a criminal background check.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified.
- Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
- This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Selections are made as the applicant pool allows and continue until the position is filled.