The Design and Multimedia intern will assist GLAAD’s digital and communications team in a variety of tasks relating to GLAAD’s visual identity in projects ranging from advocacy to fundraising. The intern will work primarily with the Design and Multimedia Manager to develop and execute engaging materials for GLAAD’s website, social media channels, email communications, and (less frequently) print. The ideal candidate would be someone who is passionate about LGBTQ issues, loves infographics, makes .gifs for fun, and has a strong interest in the intersection of good design and social good.
- Strong Proficiency in the Adobe Suite (particularly Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator)
- Knowledge of design for web and print media
- Experience and/or enthusiasm in using visual media for social change
- Excellent verbal, written, and visual communication skills
- Serious attention to detail
- Tech and Internet savvy
- Video editing experience is a plus.
- Experience with HTML, CSS, and/or Drupal are a plus
- Be genuinely concerned and conversant about LGBTQ issues and have a passion and desire to make a difference
All GLAAD interns are required to be students attending an institution with courses leading to a degree, certificate or diploma, such as college or graduate school. Interns must have graduated from high school. Internships are 8-20 hours/week during the school year and 15-20 hours/week during the summer and usually last twelve weeks. Internships are unpaid and must be completed in the office during the regular hours of 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. with occasional evening or weekend hours required for certain internships. Please indicate hours of availability and date available to start in the cover letter. This internship is unpaid.
Name: Human Resources (no phone calls, please)
The following MUST be included in your application:
- A brief cover letter outlining your interest and experience specific to this position.
- A current resume The title of the position (such as "Design and Multimedia Intern") MUST appear in the first line of the email. GLAAD will accept applications until filled.
- An online portfolio of recent work demonstrating proficiency in graphic design across web and print media.
- OPTIONAL - One original and effective piece of visual content for distribution on GLAAD’s social media channels that is related to an area of GLAAD’s work or mission.
- GLAAD does not have the ability to provide relocation benefits to interested parties.
- GLAAD is a business casual dress environment.
- Candidates MUST be able to pass a criminal background check.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified.
- Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
- This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Selections are made as the applicant pool allows and continue until the position is filled.