Dear [First Name],
I’m taking the challenge and participating in the first annual GET AMPED! South Florida 1.5-mile swim on November 12th, 2011 in support of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), the nation’s leading organization working directly with news, entertainment, and online media to ensure that stories about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people are heard.
As a storyteller, watchdog, and advocate for the LGBT community– GLAAD empowers real people to share their stories, holds the media accountable for the words and images they present, and helps grassroots organizations communicate effectively.
Why support GLAAD? Right now, GLAAD is:
- Training gay and lesbian couples and allies how to speak out effectively in places where marriage equality is being debated - including New York, Maryland, Rhode Island, Oregon and California. GLAAD is sharing their stories of love and commitment with millions through the media and building support for our equality.
- Partnering with the NBA, Major League Baseball and World Wrestling Entertainment to combat homophobia in sports and training announcers, coaches and players to be LGBT inclusive.
- Speaking out when anti-gay voices are spotlighted in the media and spread misinformation about LGBT lives.
- Organizing a national anti-bullying PSA campaign and providing resource kits to schools across the country.
- Working with Facebook to combat anti-LGBT cyberbullying on the site.
I want to make sure GLAAD can continue to educate millions of people and share stories about LGBT people that change the hearts and minds of voters and legislators. When people hear stories from the LGBT community, they come to understand that equality is about people just like them – their brothers and sisters, neighbors and friends – who deserve to be accepted, respected, and valued for who they are.
But I need your help.
Will you make a donation so I can get to the finish line?
Your support will help GLAAD continue to bring this message to Americans one Facebook group, one newspaper article, one telenovela, one TV character, one story at a time.
Thanks in advance for your support. It means so much to know that you’ll be with me.
[Insert Swimmer’s Name]