More than 1,500 New Yorkers gathered today in Manhattan to mourn the death of a 32 year-old gay man, who was shot down on Friday just blocks away from the historic Stonewall Inn in an apparent act of anti-gay bias.
Snapshots of Our Work
Wonder what we’re up to at GLAAD?
Be sure to check out GLAAD Blog each week for updates about our latest work to build support for LGBT equality through news, entertainment and online media.
- GLAAD’s Religion, Faith & Values team published articles in The Washington Post and The Huffington Post, which highlight the growing support for marriage equality among communities of faith and help to dispel myths about “God vs. gays."
- After the U.S. District Court for the 9th Circuit ruled Proposition 8 unconstitutional, GLAAD’s Spanish-Language Media team spoke to media including AOL Latino about the growing support for marriage equality among Latino voters. GLAAD also helped connect Spanish-language media with Latino/a couples wanting to share their stories of love and commitment.
- GLAAD’s Spanish-Language Media team worked with the Latino Equality Alliance (LEA), a Los Angeles-based coalition of LGBT Latino and ally groups and individuals, to ensure media coverage of an event to promote family acceptance for LGBT individuals. Coverage included La Opinión, the nation’s largest Spanish-language daily.
- GLAAD spoke out against a segment on Univision that perpetuated dangerous misinformation about so-called “reparative therapy.” Univision later agreed to post more information on its Facebook page, featuring leading medical voices -- all of whom agree that so-called “reparative therapies” are not only ineffective, they’re harmful. GLAAD is working with producers to call for a follow-up segment on-air.
- CNN suspended commentator Roland Martin after GLAAD, advocates and thousands of others spoke out against Martin’s homophobic Super Bowl tweets.
- Over 40,000 advocates joined GLAAD to #StandUpForEllen and thank J.C. Penney for standing by its decision to make her the company’s new spokesperson.
GLAAD in the News:
Advocate - SUSPENDED: CNN Says Roland Martin's Words Are Intolerable
The Associated Press - CNN suspends Martin for 'offensive' comments
BBC - CNN's Roland Martin off air after 'homophobic' tweets
BET - CNN Suspends Roland Martin for Homophobic Comments
BET – Commentary: GLAAD isn’t anti-black
The Boston Globe - CNN suspends Martin for ‘offensive’ comments
Broadcasting & Cable - CNN Suspends Roland Martin: GLAAD called for commentator's removal after anti-gay tweet
Daily Mail (UK) - CNN anchor suspended for homophobic Tweets about David Beckham's underwear ad
Entertainment Weekly - Roland S. Martin suspended by CNN for 'offensive' tweets
The Grio - GLAAD: Why CNN was right to remove Roland Martin for homophobic tweets
The Grio - CNN had no choice but to suspend Roland Martin
The Hollywood Reporter - CNN suspends commentator Roland Martin over Beckham ad tweets
Media Bistro - After Calls to Have Him Removed, Roland Martin is Back on CNN. UPDATE: Martin Suspended from CNN
Mirror (UK) - Not everyone enjoys David's pants - CNN's Roland Martin suspended over 'anti-gay' tweets
New York Daily News - Roland Martin suspended from CNN after homophobic tweets
New York Magazine - CNN Suspends Roland Martin for Gay-Bashing Super Bowl Tweets
The New York Times - CNN Suspends Roland Martin for Remarks on Twitter
The New York Times – Real men and pink suits
News One - Roland Martin Suspended From CNN for “Homophobic” Tweets
NPR - CNN Suspends Roland Martin Over Super Bowl Tweets
Philadelphia Inquirer – CNN suspends Roland Martin
Politico - CNN suspends Martin; not Loesch, Erickson
Politico – Roland Martin to meet with GLAAD
Queerty - CNN Suspends Roland “#TeamWhipDatAss” Martin For Homophobic Tweets
Reuters - CNN Suspends Roland Martin Over Super Bowl Tweets
Reuters – Roland Martin to meet with GLAAD over Super Bowl tweets
TIME - Twimmolation Alert: Roland Martin Gets His Ascot in Hot Water at CNN
Towleroad – CNN’s Roland Martin suspended over homophobic tweets
TV Guide - CNN's Roland Martin Suspended Over Tweets Seen as Homophobic
Vibe - Rowland Martin Suspended From CNN for Tweet Deemed Homophobic
Wall Street Journal - Roland Martin Suspended By CNN for Super Bowl Tweets
Washington Post - CNN’s Roland Martin suspended for homophobic tweets
Washington Post – Roland Martin to meet with gay advocacy group
Yahoo! News - CNN suspends Roland Martin over ‘offensive’ Super Bowl tweets