Eric McCormack and Debra Messing, stars of Will & Grace, reunited for the show's 15th anniversary on TODAY this morning and wore purple Spirit Day ribbons!
The hosts of TODAY were sporting purple outfits and ties while Stacy London from TLC's What Not to Wear also wore a Spirit Day ribbon later in the show!
"What I'm most proud of is that the show always treated Will's desire for the perfect man as equal to Grace's desire for the equal man," Eric McCormack told Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie about Will & Grace's impact.
Hosts of Good Morning America, CNN New Day, VH1's Big Morning Buzz Live, CNBC and NBC local news programs were also sporting purple this morning.
Last night Oprah Winfrey tweeted last night to kick off Spirit Day and changed her twitter profile. You can join the Spirit Day celebration of LGBT youth today by going purple now.
OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network is also taking a stand against bullying by turning its on-air logo purple. OWN joins MTV, VH1, MTVu, Lifetime, Sundance, TV Land and others.
Celebrities including the cast of Hot in Cleveland and Betty White, Demi Lovato, Nick Cannon, Jimmy Kimmel, WWE Superstar Darren Young, Shenae Grimes, Kristen Bell, Melissa Etheridge, and a growing list will also be going purple for Spirit Day. Sports leagues including Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer, the NBA, the NFL, the NHL and the WNBA are participating on social media. Even American Eagle Outfitters and Johnson & Johnson are taking a stand, along with tons of schools, faith groups, media outlets, companies, and organizations.
Founded in 2010, Spirit Day, which will be on October 17 this year, is an international, united stand against bullying and show of support for LGBT teens and young adults everywhere. Participants can get into the spirit by
- Turning your Facebook, Twitter and other profile photos purple atwww.glaad.org/spiritday and spreading the word by using hashtag #SpiritDay
- Wearing purple on October 17 and encouraging classmates or coworkers to do the same
- Uploading photos of you wearing purple to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr using hashtag #SpiritDay
- Downloading the Spirit Day App
- Speaking out for LGBT youth on Spirit Day
- Getting your school, GSA, organization, etc. to become a Spirit Day partner