More than 1,500 New Yorkers gathered today in Manhattan to mourn the death of a 32 year-old gay man, who was shot down on Friday just blocks away from the historic Stonewall Inn in an apparent act of anti-gay bias.
Snapshots of Our Work
Wonder what we’re up to at GLAAD?
Be sure to check out GLAAD Blog each week for updates about our latest work to build support for LGBT equality through news, entertainment and online media.
- As legislators in Maryland adopted a bill in support of marriage equality, GLAAD’s Religion, Faith & Values and People of Color Media teams worked together to dispel the myth that the Black Church is uniformly opposed to marriage equality and challenged an article in The Washington Post which excluded LGBT-affirming faith leaders.
- GLAAD’s Director of Spanish-Language Media spoke to Latina.com about the lack of LGBT Latino characters on television. Writer Lee Hernandez also quoted extensively from GLAAD’s 2011 Where We Are on TV report, an evaluation of the quality and quantity of LGBT images on TV.
- GLAAD worked with advocate Chris Sanders, Chairman of the Nashville committee of the Tennessee Equality Project, to speak out against Tennessee’s “Don’t Say ‘Gay’” bill in The Guardian.
- GLAAD’s Religion, Faith & Values team worked with LGBT Catholic organization Dignity USA to place an op-ed in The Washington Post, which called for a more inclusive Catholic church.
- Thousands joined GLAAD to speak out against anti-gay statements made by fallen teen idol Kirk Cameron on CNN’s “Piers Morgan Tonight.”
GLAAD in the News:
The Advocate - Kirk Cameron: GLAAD's Campaign Against His Antigay Remarks
Daily Beast - Kirk Cameron Defends Antigay Remarks
Edge - GLAAD Slams Kirk Cameron for Anti-Gay Comments
E! Online - Kirk Cameron: Homosexuality Is "Detrimental and Destructive"; GLAAD Says "He's Out of Step"
Entertainment Weekly – GLAAD slams Kirk Cameron for 'unnatural' stance
Entertainment Weekly - Alan Thicke and Tracey Gold react to Kirk Cameron's controversial statements
Extra TV - Tracey Gold vs. Kirk Cameron -- A 'Growing Pains' Feud?
Global Grind - WTF?! Kirk Cameron Says "Homosexuality Is Ultimately Destructive" (VIDEO)
The Hollywood Reporter - GLAAD Fires Back After 'Growing Pains' Star Kirk Cameron Calls Homosexuality 'Unnatural'
The Huffington Post - GLAAD Slams Kirk Cameron Over Anti-LGBT Comments
The Inquisitr - GLAAD Goes After Kirk Cameron Over Homosexual Comments
The Los Angeles Times - GLAAD blasts Kirk Cameron for anti-gay diatribe
The Los Angeles Times – Kirk Cameron says he’s been ‘slandered’ by gay critics
Metro Weekly - Kirk Cameron calls homosexuality "destructive" to "civilization," GLAAD fights back
New York Daily News - Kirk Cameron faces more backlash over anti-gay remarks: ‘Growing Pains’ co-star Tracy Gold responds, says she believes in ‘equal rights for all’
OK Magazine - Kirk Cameron Sounds Off to Piers Morgan on Anti-Gay Opinion; GLAAD Responds
On Top Magazine - Kirk Cameron Blasted By GLAAD Over Anti-Gay Comments
Perez Hilton - GLAAD Slams Kirk Cameron Over Homophobic Comments
Radar Online - GLAAD Slams Kirk Cameron For Anti-Gay Comments -- Growing Pains Actor Calls Homosexuality 'Unnatural'
Queerty - National Homophobe Kirk Cameron Thinks His Remarks Were “Loving,” Has Support Of Gay Friends
Reuters - GLAAD rips actor Kirk Cameron for remarks on homosexuality
Salon - Is Kirk Cameron “brave” to condemn gays?
Towleroad - Breaking: Kirk Cameron Doesn't Like Gays: VIDEO
TMZ - Kirk Cameron Blasted by GLAAD Over Gay Marriage Comments
Us Weekly - Video: Kirk Cameron Slammed for Calling Homosexuality "Unnatural" in CNN Interview
The Wall Street Journal - Kirk Cameron Responds to Backlash Over Anti-Gay Remarks
The Washington Post - Kirk Cameron and same-sex marriage: The Seaver family weighs in (UPDATE)