Wonder what we’re up to at GLAAD?
Be sure to check out GLAAD Blog each week for updates about our latest work to build support for LGBT equality through news, entertainment and online media.
- GLAAD recently worked closely with Sharon Lettman-Hicks, Executive Director of the National Black Justice Coalition—a national organization dedicated to empowering Black lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people—to place an op-ed in the Huffington Post about the importance of straight allies standing up against anti-LGBT bullying in schools.
- GLAAD’s Media Field Strategy team media-trained Dr. Wilhelmina Perry, convener of the LGBT Faith Leaders of African Decent, providing her with talking points and interviewing techniques for an interview with Harlem World Radio. LGBT Faith Leaders of African Decent supports pro-LGBT leaders and congregations in Harlem and areas throughout New York City.
- GLAAD partnered with the Movement Advancement Project (MAP) and contributing editors Bendixen & Amandi, Freedom to Marry and the Gill Foundation to co-author a new installment in the Talking About series titled “Talking About LGBT Equality with Latinos & Hispanics.” This new resource explores the importance of building effective conversations by focusing on shared values of family, respect, faith and opposition to discrimination; it also offers approaches for conversations with Latinos about marriage equality.
- GLAAD’s Religion, Faith & Values team published an essay in CNN’s Belief Blog titled, “My Take: Why Christians are embracing their LGBT neighbors.” The essay focuses on the increasing acceptance and advocacy of LGBT people by Christians demonstrated by a change in hearts, minds and denominational policies.
- GLAAD interviewed Spirit Day creator Brittany McMillan to get her response to the massive outpouring of support for LGBT youth and success of Spirit Day 2011. Millions of Americans including celebrities, corporations, media outlets, schools, national, local and faith-based organizations showed support for LGBT youth and pledged purple on Spirit Day.
GLAAD in the News:
AfterEllen- Feminist Friday: "Time" thinks Hillary could beat Republicans better than Obama, Girl Scouts are pro-transgender
Autostraddle-More Visible Than Purple: LGBT Kids and the Road to Safer Schools
Gayapolis- Gay-Inclusive Shows Make Up 28% of TV Watching, Nielsen Says
Hollywood Reporter- GLAAD Applauds Chaz Bono on Heels of ‘Dancing With the Stars’
Hollywood Reporter- LGBT-Themed Primetime TV Hits Record High (Report)
Huffington Post- ‘The New Mainstream,’ Nielsen Rating Report, Finds New High For LGBT Inclusive Television Viewing
Huffington Post- Trans Representation in the Media
Instinct Magazine- Nielsen Report Shows Audiences Flocking To LGBT-Inclusive TV Programming
Lez Get Real- BlizzCon’s Anti-Gay Closing Ceremony Rant Causes Major Controversy
LGBT Weekly- O’Neal speaks against bullying
Mercury News- Absolut heralds its 30 years of marketing to gay consumers
Montreal Gazette- Christians Loving Their LGBT Brothers and Sisters
The New York Times- Victory Eludes Chaz Bono, but Not Fame
Windy City Times-GLAAD highlights transgender Americans as Chaz Bono exists ABC’s ‘Dancing with the Stars’
Zap2It- ‘Dance With the Stars’ results: Chasz Bono, Hope Solo or Rob Kardashian, who went home?