As we have previously posted, Jane Doe, a transgender 16-year-old girl of color, has been in solitary confinement at York Correctional Facility in Connecticut for 50+ days without having received any criminal charges. The state's Department of Children and Families cited a rarely used statute, which allowed them to justify Jane Doe's prison sentence by claiming it was in her "best interest."
We believe that this young trans woman has already been imprisoned for far too long. Last week, the New York GLAAD staff took part in the #JusticeForJane campaign by sharing their reasons why they were demanding justice for Jane Doe, and now the Los Angeles office has spoken out, too.
See their photos here:
Today, there are 5 things you can do to demand #JusticeForJane: That Jane Doe be released from York immediately and placed in a safe, loving and therapeutic environment.
Those five things are:
- Call for Jane Doe's release from prison on Tumblr, Twitter, and other social media platforms with the hashtag #JusticeForJane
- Ask people to share photos with a sign demanding Jane Doe's release
- Contact and tweet at the DCF and Connecticut legislators
- Add your name to a petition with over 5,000 signatures
- Write letters of support to Jane Doe.