A transgender 16-year-old girl of color, Jane Doe, has now been held in solitary confinement at an adult prison facility for 50 days, without criminal charges against her. Jane Doe was imprisoned at York Correctional Facility in Connecticut after the state's Department of Children and Families (DCF) cited a rarely used statute allowing the institution to claim that a prison sentence is in the child's "best interest."
Jane Doe has been imprisoned without charges at York Correctional Facility for more than 50 days. This is far too long for this young trans woman who has been a victim of horrific abuses at the hands of the Connecticut Department of Children and Families.
Some of GLAAD's staff shared photos to demand #JusticeForJane. Check them out:
Today, there are 5 things you can do to demand #JusticeForJane: That Jane Doe be released from York immediately and placed in a safe, loving and therapeutic environment.
Those five things are:
- Call for Jane Doe's release from prison on Tumblr, Twitter, and other social media platforms with the hashtag #JusticeForJane
- Ask people to share photos with a sign demanding Jane Doe's release
- Contact and tweet at the DCF and Connecticut legislators
- Add your name to a petition with over 5,000 signatures
- Write letters of support to Jane Doe.