More than 1,500 New Yorkers gathered today in Manhattan to mourn the death of a 32 year-old gay man, who was shot down on Friday just blocks away from the historic Stonewall Inn in an apparent act of anti-gay bias.
LGBT Religion News Summary: Welcoming Episcopal Priest to Give Inaugural Benediction
GLAAD’s Religion, Faith & Values program works to elevate LGBT-affirming voices of faith in mainstream, regional, and community media. To find out more, visit www.glaad.org/faith. For additional religion and faith updates, be sure to subscribe via our online registration form. We welcome suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Washington Post discussed the place of LGBT people in U.S. Christian denominations, putting a spotlight on the range of opinions and aiming to note where progress has been made. A Christian polling group has found that just 37% of Christians in the United States believe that being gay is a sin. The Roman Catholic Hierarchy, as demonstrated by the Illinois Catholic Conference’s “Marriage Toolkit,” still expects gay and lesbian Catholics to remain celibate.
President Obama sparked controversy when he asked Louie Giglio, an Atlanta-based Evangelical pastor, to give the benediction at the President’s inauguration. Unsurprisingly, given that his church is described as “conservative and Evangelical,” Giglio has made anti-LGBT statements in the past and voluntarily withdrew when his past sermon was discovered. Instead, Rev. Luis Leon, an Episcopal priest at St. John's Church in Washington, will give the benediction.
In international news, one thousand Roman Catholic priests in the United Kingdom are claiming that marriage equality would prevent them from teaching the “truth” about LGBT people and would force a return to Catholics being persecuted in the UK. In France, Catholics and Muslims marched against marriage equality, despite polls showing that at least 60% of the population supports the measure.
- Wendell Berry expounds on gay marriage
- ABP News, January 14, 2013
- Illinois Catholic Conference’s ‘Marriage Toolkit’ Condemns Gay Couples To ‘Chaste Friendships’
- ThinkProgress, January 10, 2013
- Why church disdain for gay marriage is dead wrong
- National Catholic Reporter, January 11, 2013
- In America’s Christian churches, okay to be gay?
- Washington Post, January 9, 2013
- Christian Poll Shows Less Americans Think Being Gay Is A Sin
- Towleroad, January 10, 2013
- Young, Gay, and Christian?
- Q Philly, January 11, 2013
- Carrie Underwood Speaks Out Again for Gay Marriage, as a Christian: 'I'm in Favor of Acceptance'
- Towleroad, January 15, 2013
- Retired Bishop Gene Robinson On Being Gay And Loving God
- WBUR, January 14, 2013
- Luis Leon, Episcopal Priest, Will Deliver Obama's Inauguration Benediction, Replacing Louie Giglio
- Huffington Post, January 16, 2013
- Obama and the Louie Giglio Controversy
- Religion Dispatchers, January 9, 2013
- Obama, Inaugural Prayers and the Evangelicals Who Don't Like Him
- Huffington Post, January 9, 2013
- My Take: Christians ought to shrug off inaugural pastor rejection
- CNN, January 12, 2013
- Stop treating gay people as pariahs, evangelical minister tells church
- The Guardian, January 15, 2013
- Muslims To Join Catholics In Anti-Gay Marriage Rally
- Joe My God, January 8, 2013
- More Than 1,000 Catholic Priests In UK Sign Letter Claiming Same-Sex Marriage Could Mean “Centuries Of Persecution”
- Queerty, January 12, 2013
- Israeli gay couple asks court to recognize spousal support agreement
- JTA, January 13, 2013
- European court: Faith can't trump gay couples' rights
- Xtra!, January 15, 2013
- Toronto group brings gay Jewish men together
- Canadian Jewish News, January 7, 2013
- Trembling Before G-d: Turning A Movie Into A Movement
- Huffington Post, January 8, 2013
- Truth, Consequences and Gender Transition
- Huffington Post, January 9, 2013
- Lutheran college opens the door to same-sex wedding
- Chicago Tribune, January 16, 2013
- The Black Church and Same-Sex Marriage
- Huffington Post, January 11, 2013
- As polls shift, gay marriage becomes a uniter, not a divider
- Religion News Service, January 14, 2013
- Church issues statement as Ill. gay marriage debate heats up
- Connect Tri States, January 14, 2013
United Church of Christ
- UCC minister takes a stand in the South for LGBT equality
- United Church of Christ News, January 9, 2013
- Gay Long Beach pastor Rev. Mel White rails against religious leaders espousing anti-gay views
- The Press-Telegram, January 13, 2013