Out actress Ellen Page presented Laverne Cox with the Stephen F. Kolzak Award tonight at the 25th Annual GLAAD Media Awards at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles.
A complete press release, including quotes from the honorees will be posted on Sunday, April 13. Photos and video will be posted to glaad.org/mediaawards in coming days.
Rita Moreno presented the Vanguard Award to Jennifer Lopez, and GLAAD National Spokesperson Wilson Cruz presented the Pioneer Award to legendary TV producer Norman Lear.
Following is a complete list of GLAAD Media Award recipients announced Saturday in Los Angeles:
- Pioneer Award: Norman Lear
- Vanguard Award: Jennifer Lopez
- Stephen F. Kolzak Award: Laverne Cox
- International Advocate for Change Award: Manny de Guerre, founder of the Side by Side LGBT Film Festival in St. Petersburg, Russia
- Outstanding Documentary: TIE: Bridegroom (Virgil Films / OWN) and Call Me Kuchu (Cinedigm)
- Outstanding Drama Series: The Fosters (ABC Family)
- Outstanding TV Movie or Mini-Series: Behind the Candelabra (HBO)
- Outstanding Reality Program: Big Freedia: Queen of Bounce (Fuse)
- Outstanding Daily Drama: Days of Our Lives (NBC)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: "LGBTQ in the Capital" (series) by Melissa Griffiths (Juneau Empire [Juneau, Alaska])
- Outstanding Digital Journalism – Multimedia: "We Are Here: LGBTI in Uganda" by Sunnivie Brydum, D. David Robinson (Advocate.com)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Tegan and Sara, Heartthrob (Warner Bros. Records)
- Outstanding Comic Book: Young Avengers, written by Kieron Gillen (Marvel Comics)
- Outstanding Talk Show Interview: TIE: "Debate por la igualdad" Al Punto (Univision) Y "Decisión Histórica" Sin Límites con Elizabeth Espinosa (CNN Latino)
- Outstanding Local TV Journalism: "Natalia: rompiendo barreras" Noticiero Telemundo Arizona (KTAZ-39 [Phoenix, Ariz.])
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: "Decisión Histórica" Noticiero Telemundo (Telemundo)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism - Multimedia: "Eric y Juan, un matrimonio feliz a pesar de todo" by Fernando Mexia (EFE.com)
Special guests included: Rita Moreno who presented the Vanguard Award to Jennifer Lopez. Ellen Page who presented the Stephen F. Kolzak Award to Laverne Cox. Norman Lear received the Pioneer Award. Manny de Guerre, LGBT advocate from Russia, received the International Advocate for Change Award. Other guests included: Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave); Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory); Naomi Campbell (The Face); Tatiana Maslany, Jordan Gavaris (Orphan Black); Tom Cullen (Downton Abbey); Eric Dane, Rebecca Gayheart; Natasha Henstridge (The Secret Circle); James Frain (Intruders); Alex Newell (Glee); Kat Graham (The Vampire Diaries); Ross Mathews (Hello Ross); Maria Menounos (Chasing Maria Menounos); Sherri Saum, Teri Polo, Peter Paige, Bradley Bredeweg (The Fosters); Lucas Neff (Raising Hope); Meghan McCain (Take Part Live); singer Debby Boone; Caitlin Stasey (Please Like Me); Luke Newberry (In the Flesh); author and transgender advocate Chaz Bono; Shane Bitney Crone, Linda Bloodworth-Thomason (Bridegroom); Katherine Fairfax Wright, Malika Zouhali-Worrall, John "Longjones" Abdallah Wambere (Call Me Kuchu); Charlie Condou (Coronation Street); Sophie Ward (Jane Eyre); Pratibha Parmar (Nina's Heavenly Delights); Jill Soloway, Amy Landecker, Ian Harvie (Transparent); Kate Mansi, Guy Wilson (Days of Our Lives); trans advocates Calpernia Addams, Andrea James, B. Scott; Husbands creators Brad Bell, Jane Espenson; comedian Suzanne Westenhoefer; trans model Carmen Carrera; trans singer Our Lady J; GLAAD National Spokespersons, Wilson Cruz and Omar Sharif, Jr., and GLAAD CEO & President Sarah Kate Ellis. DJ Tracy Young was the guest DJ at the after-party.
Photos and videos are available here.
The 25th Annual GLAAD Media Awards are presented nationally by Ketel One Vodka, Wells Fargo, and Hilton Worldwide. The Los Angeles event is presented locally by Delta Air Lines and Bud Light.