Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBT-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1. Out actor Wentworth Miller joins the cast of the CW's DC comic series The Flash, starring former Glee star Grant Gustin in the lead role. Miller will play Leonard Snart aka Captain Cold. Out writer/producer Greg Berlanti also announced that the show will feature two gay characters in the upcoming first season; David Singh (played by Patrick Sabongui) will recur along with another gay DC comics character. The Flash premieres on the CW in October, check out the extended trailer below.
2. Out actress Portia de Rossi will appear on ABC's hit series Scandal this fall. Her wife, Ellen DeGeneres, broke the news via Twitter. There are no details yet on her role, but she will be appearing in more than one episode. Season four of Scandal returns September 25 on ABC.
3. IDW Publishing announced GLAAD Media Award-nominated BBC America drama Orphan Black will become a new comic book series! Like the popular television show, the comic book will center on Sarah Manning (played by Tatiana Maslany on the show) who discovers she is a clone after witnessing the death of a genetically-engineered copy of herself, resulting in Sarah investigating her origins. The comic book series will debut in early 2015.
4. Electronic music duo Pet Shop Boys debuted their original opera, A Man of the Future, about gay code breaker Alan Turing. During WWII Turing helped break German Enigma Code, but was prosecuted for being gay and ultimately took his own life. You can see listen to entire performance via BBC here. Turing is also the subject of the upcoming film The Imitation Game which released their first trailer this week, check it out below.
5. Erasure, led by out singer Andy Bell, has released a new song titled "Elevation." This is the first track released from the band's upcoming album The Violet Flame, out September 23. Check out "Elevation" on Soundcloud now.
6. Out singer/songwriter Mary Lambert has released a lyric video for her new song "Secrets," off her upcoming album Heart on My Sleeve, out October 14. In the video Lambert declares she doesn't care what her secrets are. Watch the video below.
7. The documentary film Radical Love, by director Hillevi Loven, tells the story of Christian teenager Cole Ray Davis, a transgender male coming of age in Middle America. The film is currently raising production funds to help finish the film. You can learn more about the film and donate here, watch the Radical Love trailer below.