Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBT-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Sundance Film Festival and cult favorite Codependent Lesbian Space Alien Seeks Same will open at Los Angeles’ Downtown Independent for a week long theatrical premiere, August 17 to August 23. The film is a 1950s sci-fi parody about three aliens who are sent to Earth to have their hearts broken as romantic emotions are toxic to their planet’s environment. Zylar and Barr fall in love with each other, while Zoinx meets mild-mannered human Jane and falls hard. Meanwhile, two agents follow the couples trying to find the spaceship. Director Madeleine Olnek and cast members Susan Ziegler and Jackie Monahan will be in attendance during opening weekend for live question and answer sessions. Watch the trailer below.
2) Phase 4 Films has acquired North American distribution rights to out writer and director Coley Sohn’s new film, Sassy Pants. The coming-of-age drama follows Bethany Pruitt (Ashley Rickards, Awkward), a teen who is desperate to get away from her overinvolved and overprotective mother. Bethany moves in with her father Dale (Deidrich Bader, The Drew Carey Show) and forms a friendship with his much younger boyfriend Chip (Haley Joel Osment, The Sixth Sense). Phase 4 plans a release in theatres and video on demand services this fall. Watch the trailer below.
3) OWN, the Oprah Winfrey Network, this weekend premieres a new hour-long special from World of Wonder, titled 10 Kids 2 Dads. The cameras follow real life couple Clint and Bryan and the 10 children they have adopted into their ever growing family in suburban Michigan. 10 Kids 2 Dads airs Saturday, August 18 at 10pm on OWN. Check out a sneak peek below.
4) Out actor John Barrowman has been cast on The CW’s superhero series, Arrow, as a recurring character for the debut fall season. Producers are keeping the Torchwood star’s story close to the vest; simply revealing Barrowman will portray a “well-dressed man” who turns out to be “as mysterious as he is wealthy…he is an acquaintance of the Queen family and a prominent figure in Starling City.” Arrow premieres on The CW Wednesday, October 10.
5) The first trailer of season four of Glee has been released for the season premiere, “The New Rachel.” The episode brings a lot of surprises, including the news that Unique has left Vocal Adrenaline and is now a member of McKinley’s New Directions. Viewers also see Kurt at McKinley in the first episode following his rejection by NYADA at the end of last season. Glee returns on its new night and time Thursday, September 13 at 9pm on Fox. Watch the preview below.
6) Big Brother UK 2012 ended this week with transgender man Luke Anderson named the winner after he won the public vote. Anderson is the UK series' 13th winner and the second transgender winner after Nadia Almada took the title in 2004. “I don’t think it’s sunk in yet,” Anderson told host Brian Dowling, “A big part of it was about acceptance. All my life I’ve been an outsider. Thank you so much.”
7) In crowd-funding success news, the lesbian-owned website Autostraddle has raised $75,000 to redesign its website after setting a goal of $40K (which they reached in just 21 hours.) With 23 days on the Indiegogo campaign still to go, it’s safe to call it a resounding success. The first 40K will go towards hiring a professional web designer to head up the relaunch, with the remainder being used to compensate many writers and editors who contribute as volunteers and setting up an ideascale account to better interact with their readership.
8) "We Are the Youth" is a new photojournalism project dedicated to recording the individual experiences of LGBT youth in the United States. Creators Laurel Golio and Diana Scholl hope "We Are the Youth" will help teens to know they are not alone. The creators are looking for funding help to continue traveling to new cities to photograph and interview more LGBT young people. Visit the film’s Kickstarter page to learn more and watch the trailer below.