Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBT-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) CBS just released trailers for it's new scripted series and among them is the preview of their new sitcom Partners. David Kohan and Max Mutchnick of Will & Grace tell the story of childhood friends and business partners Joe and Louis, costarring Ugly Betty's Michael Urie. Louis is gay and dating Wyatt while Joe is straight and dating Ali, but the announcement of an engagement puts their friendship to the test. Watch the trailer below.
2) Fitness guru and former Biggest Loser trainer Jillian Michaels and her partner, Heidi Rhoades, became new moms to not one, but two bundles of joy this month. Rhoades delivered their healthy baby boy, Phoenix, just weeks before the couple celebrated the adoption of their two-year-old daughter, Lukensia, from Haiti. On Wednesday Michaels tweeted, “I’m really happy to share that my daughter is finally home & my son was born on 5/3.”
3) The second season of American Horror Story will kick off next fall, but creator Ryan Murphy has already started dropping tidbits of information on what fans can expect from the brand new single-season story. Actress Jessica Lange will return in a new role as the manager of an insane asylum in the 1960s, which will apparently also include a character institutionalized for being a lesbian among its inmates. You can read more about Murphy’s plans for Horror Story, as well as Glee and The New Normal, in a new interview with Vulture.com.
4) On Wednesday, Gossip dropped the video for their single, “Move in The Right Direction,” which accompanies the release of their fifth studio album, A Joyful Noise. “Direction” is a lively, catchy tune with a positive and empowering message. Check out the fun, 90’s-inspired video below!
5) In honor of Northstar’s wedding in next month’s Astonishing X-Men, Marvel is releasing several variant covers for issue #51 to celebrate the big event, including the above image from celebrated comic cover artist Marko Djurdjevic. Additionally, the company is releasing a “Make your own wedding album” wraparound cover that includes images of various famous Marvel weddings and space for your own wedding photo to go right above Northstar and Kyle’s.
6) Actress and 1980’s teen icon Molly Ringwald has been announced as the Grand Marshal of this year’s LA PRIDE Parade on Sunday, June 10. Ringwald currently stars on ABC Family’s The Secret Life of the American Teenager as Anne Juergens, who will be part of an upcoming lesbian storyline with a new character named Willowdine. “They’ve dealt with gay characters, and they’ve dealt with gay characters kissing -- they just haven’t dealt with ‘Molly Ringwald being a lesbian,’ ” she said in a recent interview with OUT Magazine. “Seeing someone that they’ve grown up with, that they’ve identified with for so long -- it’s a great way to break down that us-versus-them barrier a little more.” Ringwald, a longtime ally of the LGBT community, has filmed PSA’s against California’s Proposition 8 and includes the story of a 6-year-old transgender boy in her upcoming anthology When It Happens to You: A Novel in Stories.
7) “Tomato Trouble” is the first story in the animated series Geoff and his Two Dads, an upcoming interactive children’s book app for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. The story follows Geoff and his best friend as they accidentally cause trouble for a neighbor. Luckily, Geoff’s dads are there to save the day. Wompi Studios need funding help to finish and publish the Geoff and his Two Dads series and they hope to then be able to continue developing book apps with inclusive stories. Visit the Geoff and his Two Dads Kickstarter page to learn more and watch the trailer below.