More than 1,500 New Yorkers gathered today in Manhattan to mourn the death of a 32 year-old gay man, who was shot down on Friday just blocks away from the historic Stonewall Inn in an apparent act of anti-gay bias.
The GLAAD Wrap: Ginger & Rosa Opens, Wallace Wells Added to Scott Pilgrim Video Game and New Series for Nate Berkus, Jane Lynch
Each week The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBT-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Ginger & Rosa opens in theaters in New York City and Los Angeles today. The film follows two teenage best friends in the 1960s who are torn apart by political advocacy and the sexual revolution. Ginger's parent's relationship is falling apart and she finds an emotional reprieve with gay couple Mark and Mark (Timothy Spall and Oliver Platt) and the couple's American friend Bella (Annette Bening). Watch the trailer below.
2) The fourth season of ABC Family's drama Pretty Little Liars will debut on Tuesday, June 11 at 8:00 ET/PT. In other premiere news, the All My Children revival will be available for download on Hulu, Hulu Plus and iTunes beginning Monday, April 29 and the series will include out character Bianca Montgomery and her teenage daughter, Miranda.
3) Jane Lynch and the creative team behind Showtime's Web Therapy are launching a new digital series, Dropping the Soap. The series looks at the behind-the-scenes lives of the people involved with the faux daytime soap Colliding Lives as the program struggles to maintain ratings in the new era of TV.
4) Former talk show host Nate Berkus will return to television this fall as host and executive producer of NBC's home makeover competition series Renovation Nation. The series, which has gotten a 10-episode order, will feature two teams re-designing two homes each week, and Berkus and his expert team will judge. Viewers will be able to virtually tour the homes, purchase items featured in each episode and win luxury prizes weekly. The series will conclude with a live finale in which viewers will determine the winner and two dream homes will be gifted to two lucky viewers.
5) Out character Wallace Wells has been added to Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game along with the introduction of an online multiplayer mode. The film Scott Pilgrim vs. The World was nominated for a GLAAD Media Award in the Outstanding Film – Wide Release category at the 22nd Annual GLAAD Media Awards. Check out Wallace's trailer below.
6) Out singer-songwriter Allison Weiss released her new single "One Way Love" this week. Her second full-length album, Say What You Mean, drops April 16 and is available for pre-order now. Listen to "One Way Love" below.
7) De'Borah Garner, a contestant on the last season of NBC's The Voice, has a new single "Coming Out Looking Good" available for download now. Watch her perform the song on Windy City Live below.
8) The new documentary Alfredo's Fire is looking for funding help on Kickstarter. The film explores gay Italian writer Alfredo Ormando's struggle to reconcile his faith and his sexual orientation leading to his decision to set himself on fire in St. Peter's Square to protest the Catholic Church's anti-gay stance. Armando passed away 11 days later. This documentary is incredibly timely given the appointment of Pope Francis this week, who has a history of anti-LGBT comments. Learn more about Alfredo's Fire at their Kickstarter page and watch the trailer below.