More than 1,500 New Yorkers gathered today in Manhattan to mourn the death of a 32 year-old gay man, who was shot down on Friday just blocks away from the historic Stonewall Inn in an apparent act of anti-gay bias.
The GLAAD Wrap: George Takei to Help Crown King Nerd and New God-Des and She Music
Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBT-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Trekkers rejoice! George Takei has been announced as one of the guest judges on TBS’ new reality show King of the Nerds. The show premieres on Thursday, January 17 at 10/9, and will feature other guest judges Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes. The self-proclaimed nerds with be tested on their “intellect, ingenuity, skills, and pop-culture prowess” in the hopes of putting $100,000 in the bank.
2) Out singer-songwriter Erin McKeown released “Proof,” a song from her upcoming album, Manifestra. One of the songs on the album, which is due in January, was co-written with one of her good friends, Rachel Maddow, through text message.
3) With a February release date right around the corner, rock band God-Des and She released a preview stream featuring snippets of songs from their fourth studio album The United States of God-Des and She. Like many other artists, God-Des and She successfully acquired funds through a Kickstarter campaign, and now fans can get a taste of what they paid for. Check out the stream below.
4) Also allowing fans a sneak peek at her upcoming album is out singer-songwriter Mary Gauthier. Every week before the release of her new CD Live at Blue Rock, she is streaming a song from it so you can hear it for free, and she's telling the story behind each song. Gauthier has had a very interesting life, so the stories are often as interesting as the songs. This weeks song is song #5, "Cigarette Machine." Check it out .
5) Logo has given the greenlight to a new web comedy series, Vicky & Lysander. Born into money, the titular couple tries their hardest to climb New York’s social ladder. In order to get them there, they seek help from their earthly guardian angels: Lysander’s stylist, a transgender Cambodian fashion designer, and Vicky’s shaman and BFF. The ten episode series premieres Wednesday, December 19 at 3 pm on LogoTV.com with new episodes every Wednesday.
6) Alan White’s Westerly: A Man, A Woman, An Enigma is a feature-length documentary about the life of 62-year-old Westerly Windina. Westerly, once known by the name Peter Drouyn, is a legendary surfer who introduced the sport to China and shaped modern surf competitions. It wasn’t until her 50s that a near death experience prompted Westerly to finally come out as transgender. For more information, check out White’s Kickstarter campaign here.