Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) A new trailer has been released for The Weinstein Co.’s upcoming film 3 Generations. The film stars Naomi Watts, Susan Sarandon, and Elle Fanning. The film follows Ray (Fanning), a teen who is transitioning, and his mother, Maggie, who must face her own demons as she hunts down Ray's father. Sarandon plays Ray's grandmother, Dolly, who shares her brownstone with her partner, Frances, Maggie, and Ray. The film is set for theatrical release on May 5th. You can view the trailer below.
2) Fantastic Beasts has found their Dumbledore. Jude Law is set to play the popular character for the next four Fantastic Beasts movies. Fans of the series will remember that Dumbledore had romantic feeling for his former friend, Grindelwald, growing up. Director David Yates states, “I know he will brilliantly capture all the unexpected facets of Albus Dumbledore as J.K. Rowling reveals this very different time in his life.” The film is expected in theaters November 2018. Bella Thorne has also been cast in Bad Influence from Broad Green Pictures. The film is about a mother who tries to protect her son from his dangerous girlfriend (Thorne). No release date has been announced.
3) The North American rights for Tom of Finland have been acquired by Kino Lorber. The film is about Touko Laaksonen, more popularly known as Tom of Finland, who found refuge in his now iconic art. The film will have its North American premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival next weekend. The Handmaiden is also now available to watch for free with your Amazon Prime membership. It is based on the novel Fingersmith by Sarah Walters, and was nominated for a 2017 GLAAD Media Award. You can watch the trailer for the film below.
4) Netflix has dropped new footage for Sense8, Orange is the New Black, and Dear White People. Fans can get a glimpse into the second season of Sense8 through the new trailer. The second season will focus on the Sensates learning more about BPO, and working to protect themselves from the organization. The season will be released May 5th. For Orange is the New Black, fans can get a small taste to the answer of what happened directly after the season four finale. You can expect new episodes of Orange is the New Black on June 9th. To watch the preview click here. The new Dear White People trailer offers a more in-depth look at the comedy series. The show premieres April 28th. Click here to watch the trailer.
5) Jill Soloway’s new Amazon series I Love Dick has released a trailer. Soloway has described the show as a, “soapy delicious psycho-sexual comedy set in an art town.” The show will be available to stream on Amazon on May 12th. In other TV news, Asia Kate Dillon has been promoted to series regular for season three of Billions, and Tracie Thoms has joined the third season of UnREAL in a recurring role as Quinn's best friend, Fiona, who is a high powered entertainment executive and described as "a gorgeous gay woman with swagger."
6) Nyssa al Ghul, who previously was dating Sara Lance, is also returning to Arrow for a multiple episode arc. Katrina Law will return as Nyssa to face off against her half-sister Talia al Ghul, who was introduced this season. The sibling showdown will take place in the season five finale. Nashville has announced the premiere date for the second half of season five (June 1), and renewed the series for a 16 episode-sixth season. In other renewal news, Syfy has renewed The Magicians for a third season. BBC America has dropped the official trailer for the upcoming fifth and final season of Orphan Black, premiering June 10. Check it out below.
8) VH1 have announced an expansive slate for the upcoming year, including a docuseries on out singer Ricky Martin. The official title has yet to be announced, but the series will focus on his Vegas residency and is described as a, “revealing, never been seen account of one of the most private and guarded global superstars of our time.” It’s scheduled to be released June 2017. Another series scheduled to premiere this summer is ‘90s House. Hosted by Lance Bass, the show follows a tech savvy cast who is forced to unplug and live in the 90s. The show will also include cameos by 90s celebrities.
9) The GLAAD Media Award-nominated Cartoon Network show Steven Universe has announced they’re releasing an album. Steven Universe Soundtrack: Volume 1 will include remastered songs from the series, including the theme song. The songs will be handpicked by show creator Rebecca Sugar, and performed by the voice talent from the show and a few special guests, including Sugar herself. The album will be released June 2nd. You can listen to a preview below.
10) GLAAD Media Award nominee Blood Orange has released the video for "With Him / Best to You / Better Numb." The video clocks in at over nine minutes, and the tracks are all off his third album Freetown Sound which is available now. You can watch the video below. Los Angeles-based queer band WASI premiered their new track "Floor Talk" over on GO Magazine, the duo's new EP Coup is out May 9.