Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBT-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Singer Rufus Wainwright wed his partner, theatre producer Jorn Weisbrodt, yesterday, August 23, at their home in Montauk, New York in front of 250 people. Those in attendance included Carrie Fisher and Yoko Ono. The newlyweds have a daughter, Viva Katherine Wainwright Cohen.
2) Nate & Margaret, which follows the friendship between a young gay film student and a 50-something woman pursuing a new career as a standup comedian, is getting released on DVD this Tuesday, August 28. Tyler Ross and Natalie West (Roseanne) star as the title characters.
3) Fans of Pretty Little Liars will not have to wait until October to experience their favorite show. ABC Family is launching Pretty Dirty Secrets, a web series featuring new character Shana that will lead up to its Halloween episode. The new series debuts this Tuesday, August 28, following the season finale.
4) Out musician Bob Mould released a video for “The Descent.” The track is from his forthcoming album Silver Age, which is being released on September 4. Mould is traveling the country in support of the album. You can check out tour dates on his official website here.
5) Fans of Gossip singer Beth Ditto can get a bit more intimate with her this October. The singer is releasing her memoir, Coal to Diamonds. The book, co-written with Michelle Tea, will share details from Ditto’s childhood as a “sexually confused choir nerd with a great voice” through her time in Olympia experiencing the punk rock scene.
6) Director Isabel Castro from New York City has gathered footage for her film, Crossing Over, a documentary about three transgender women who immigrated to the United States to fight for a better life, free of mental and sexual abuse. Isabel has started an Indiegogo page in an effort to raise money for the project that still needs editing, sound mixing, distribution, and more.