Campus Pride, the leading national organization for students and campus groups working to create a safer college environment for LGBT students, announced "Campus Pride's 2013 Top 25 LGBT-Friendly College & Universities" list, in association with the Huffington Post.
Campus Pride bases it's listing on it's Campus Pride Index, which is based on research of the schools' programs and practices by LGBT experts in higher education. In order to make the final list this year, each campus had to achieve perfect or near perfect ratings based on the Campus Pride Index, which analyzes LGBT-friendly factor areas in a variety of ways, including health services, student life, policy inclusion, and student safety.
"Congratulations to the the Top 25 and all 380+ campuses on the Campus Pride Index for coming out for LGBT students," said Shane Windmeyer, executive director of Campus Pride. "Many more campuses today want to be called LGBT-friendly but only those who participate in the Campus Pride Index know what policies, programs and practices are important to create safer, more LGBT-friendly colleges and universities."
"Over 80% of participating colleges last year improved from their ratings using the index and benchmarking scores," reports Campus Pride. This year the organization found 53 colleges who achieved 5 stars in the overall category, which is the highest hunber of schools to do so to date.
Campus Pride’s 2013 Top 25 Listing (in alphabetical order):
- Carleton College
- Case Western Reserve University
- Connecticut College
- Ithaca College
- Macalester College
- Oberlin College
- Portland State University
- Princeton University
- Rutgers University
- Southern Oregon University
- Stanford University
- The Ohio State University
- University of California, Riverside
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- University of Maryland, College Park
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- University of Michigan
- University of Minnesota – Duluth
- University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- University of Oregon
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Southern California
- University of Washington
- Washington State University