Wonder what we’re up to at GLAAD? Be sure to check out GLAAD Blog each week for updates about our latest work to build support for LGBT equality through news, entertainment and online media.
- GLAAD’s People of Color Media Institute participant, Ja’briel Walthour, wrote an op-ed piece for The Huffington Post that raises awareness of the violence facing transgender women of color.
- GLAAD’s Spanish-Language Media team trained 15 community members about the key elements of good media work and how to share their stories in both English and Spanish-language outlets. The half-day training was hosted by the Latino Equality Alliance, which brought together a diverse and passionate group of LGBT and allied men and women.
- GLAAD spoke out against Chelsea Handler’s offensive remarks that degraded ‘Dancing with the Stars’ contestant Chaz Bono because of his gender identity.
- GLAAD issued a Call to Action in response to a Huffington Post article that perpetuated tired and offensive stereotypes about gay men. To date, nearly 2,000 people have written letters of concern. Add your name to the petition here.
- GLAAD announced the honorees for the 2011 Amplifier Awards, which recognize and honor outstanding representations of LGBT people in advertising. See a complete list of award recipients here.