Wonder what we’re up to at GLAAD?
Be sure to check out GLAAD Blog each week for updates about our latest work to build support for LGBT equality through news, entertainment and online media.
- GLAAD’s People of Color Media Institute participant, Ja’briel Walthour, wrote an op-ed piece for The Huffington Post that raises awareness of the violence facing transgender women of color.
- GLAAD’s Spanish-Language Media team trained 15 community members about the key elements of good media work and how to share their stories in both English and Spanish-language outlets. The half-day training was hosted by the Latino Equality Alliance, which brought together a diverse and passionate group of LGBT and allied men and women.
- GLAAD spoke out against Chelsea Handler’s offensive remarks that degraded ‘Dancing with the Stars’ contestant Chaz Bono because of his gender identity.
- GLAAD issued a Call to Action in response to a Huffington Post article that perpetuated tired and offensive stereotypes about gay men. To date, nearly 2,000 people have written letters of concern. Add your name to the petition here.
- GLAAD announced the honorees for the 2011 Amplifier Awards, which recognize and honor outstanding representations of LGBT people in advertising. See a complete list of award recipients here.
GLAAD in the News:
AdWeek – Google Chrome tops GLAAD list of 2011’s best gay-friendly ads
BET – GLAAD criticizes Tyler the Creator’s VMA win
Entertainment Weekly – GLAAD on ‘Dancing with the Stars’ casting: ‘Tremendous step forward’
Hollywood Reporter – GLAAD thrilled about Chaz Bono on ‘Dancing with the Stars’
Hollywood Reporter – ‘Dancing with the Stars’ Chaz Bono jokes place Chelsea Handler in hot water with GLAAD
NY Daily News – Chaz Bono on ‘Dancing with the Stars’ is ‘tremendous step forward,’ says GLAAD
Jezebel – Chelsea Handler’s Chaz Bono joke pisses off GLAAD
Perez Hilton – GLAAD calls out Chelsea Handler for poking fun at Chaz Bono
Perez Hilton – GLAAD speaks out on Tyler the Creator’s VMA win
The Advocate - Are Gay Men More Accepting of Sex for Pay Than Straights? Huffington Post Says Yes