Wonder what we’re up to at GLAAD? Be sure to check out GLAAD Blog each week for updates about our latest work to build support for LGBT equality through news, entertainment and online media.
- GLAAD’s Spanish-Language Media team prepared advocates in New York for media interviews related to a vigil held for Camila Guzmán, a transgender woman found murdered in her New York home in August.
- GLAAD’s Director of Spanish-Language Media, Monica Trasandes, was interviewed for an article in El Diario La Prensa, in which she discussed the importance of bringing attention to issues faced by transgender people. Monica also met with journalists from across Latin America at UCSD’s Institute of the Americas, where she led a panel on sexual orientation, gender identity and the media.
- GLAAD worked with Alice Hoagland, mother of 9/11 hero Mark Bingham, to place an op-ed in the San Jose Mercury News about LGBT equality and the importance of sharing our stories.
- After progressive Christian magazine Sojourners rejected advertising from the LGBT faith group Believe Out Loud, GLAAD and the Ali Forney Center worked with the publication to publish ads highlighting the disproportionate rates of homelessness facing LGBT youth.
- GLAAD took action against comedian Adam Carolla after the former “Man Show” host spent several minutes of his online radio program railing against transgender people. Carolla issued an inadequate response, saying “I’m sorry my comments were hurtful. I’m a comedian, not a politician.” GLAAD has now called on networks and advertisers to take note of Carolla’s long history of bias remarks.