More than 1,500 New Yorkers gathered today in Manhattan to mourn the death of a 32 year-old gay man, who was shot down on Friday just blocks away from the historic Stonewall Inn in an apparent act of anti-gay bias.
8: The Mormon Proposition Opens in Select Cities Nationwide June 18
Just as the federal trial challenging California's anti-gay Proposition 8 draws to a close, 8: The Mormon Proposition, which debuted at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year, opens in select cities nationwide on Friday, June 18.
This timely documentary from director Reed Cowan has been called "impassioned, informative...[and] absolutely enraging" by New York Magazine and "a vital, important cry for an open dialogue" by The Salt Lake Tribune.
8: The Mormon Proposition investigates the decades long campaign the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has been waging against the rights of gays and lesbians to marry and exposes the Church's role in financially supporting and organizing the Yes on 8 campaign. The film also examines the psychological toll that anti-gay bigotry takes on LGBT Mormon youth. Dustin Lance Black, the Academy Award-winning screenwriter of Milk narrates.
At the 2010 Sundance Film Festival, cineGLAAD hosted a panel discussion after a screening of 8: The Mormon Proposition that featured Cowan, Black and others closely associated with the film and the fight to overturn Prop 8.
GLAAD supporters who donate $100 or more before June 28, 2010 will receive a free copy of the documentary from Wolfe Video. Please click here for more info: https://www.glaad.org/wolfe
- Atlanta- Landmark Midtown Art Cinema
- Boston- The Coolidge Corner Theatre
- Chicago- Gene Siskel Film Center
- Dallas - Angelika Dallas
- Ft. Lauderdale – Gateway
- Honolulu - Kahala 8 Theatre
- Houston - Angelika Houston
- New York City - Village East Cinema, Chelsea Clearview
- Los Angeles - Laemmle’s Sunset Five
- Palm Springs - Camelot Theatres
- Scottsdale/Phoenix - Harkins Camelview 5
- Salt Lake City – Tower Theatre
- San Diego - Reading Theatre- Gaslamp 15
- Spokane – Magic Lantern
- DC – AFI Silver Springs
And on June 25 in:
- San Francisco – Presidio Theatre
- San Francisco – Sundance Kabuki Theatre
- Berkeley – Rialto Elmwood Berkeley
- Santa Rosa - Rialto Cinemas Lakeside