A big thank you to all who attended the 21st Annual GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles! We’ll have some great videos and a full recap in the coming days, but for now please enjoy the event photos below and a brief account of the show and a list of winners from tonight’s event.
The evening began with a musical number by hosts Candis Cayne and Wilson Cruz that culminated with a surprise flashmob dance involving audience members, staff and volunteers throughout the ballroom. Iron Chef America's Cat Cora presented Drew Barrymore with the Vanguard Award and Constance McMillen, the Mississippi teen whose high school cancelled her prom rather than allow McMillen to attend with her girlfriend, presented Wanda Sykes with the Stephen F. Kolzak Award.
Openly gay creator Ryan Murphy and the cast of Glee, including Jane Lynch and Chris Colfer, accepted the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Comedy Series. Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir and longtime LGBT activist Chaz Bono talked about GLAAD's work with young adults and openly gay singer Adam Lambert closed the show, performing "Music Again" and "Fever" from his debut album For Your Entertainment.
Additional awards will be presented at the GLAAD Media Awards in San Francisco on June 5th. Following is a list complete list of GLAAD Media Awards presented on stage, and the individuals that accepted the awards:
- Vanguard Award: Drew Barrymore (presented by openly lesbian star of Iron Chef America Cat Cora)
- Stephen F. Kolzak Award: Wanda Sykes (presented by Constance McMillen, the Mississippi teenager whose high school cancelled prom because she asked to attend with her girlfriend)
- Outstanding Film – Wide Release: A Single Man (The Weinstein Company) [Accepted by: Richard Buckley on behalf of his partner, Tom Ford]
- Outstanding Comedy Series: Glee (Fox) [Accepted by: Ryan Murphy, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Dianna Agron, Jessalyn Gilsig, Kevin McHale, Cory Monteith, Amber Riley, Mark Salling, and Jenna Ushkowitz]
- Outstanding Reality Program: RuPaul’s Drag Race(Logo/VH1) [Accepted by: RuPaul]
- Outstanding Spanish-Language TV Journalism Segment: "Polémicas Adopciones" Noticiero Telemundo(Telemundo) [Accepted by: Ramon Escobar, executive vice-president of news for Telemundo; reporter Carlos Botifoll and producer, Elisa Ross]
GLAAD also announced that Lydia by Octavio Solis received the award in the Outstanding Los Angeles Theater category.
The GLAAD Media Awards conclude in San Francisco on June 5th honoring Levi Strauss President, Robert Hanson, who will receive the Local Hero Award. The event will be hosted by Bruce Vilanch. Stay posted for the announcement of further special guests.
To purchase tickets to the 21st Annual GLAAD Media Awards in San Francisco, please visit http://www.glaad.org/mediaawards/21/tickets. For a full list of award recipients and event photos, please visit http://www.glaad.org/mediaawards