February 12th, 2010 marks the second anniversary of the Lawrence King murder. King, an eighth-grader from Ventura, CA, was shot in the head and killed by a classmate in 2008 because of his perceived sexual orientation and gender expression. GLAAD, GSA Network, GLSEN, Ventura County Rainbow Alliance, Human Rights Campaign, National Center for Lesbian Rights and Equality California are urging LGBT advocates and allies to honor King’s memory and call for an end to violence and harassment in the classroom directed at lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. Here is an update on what some organizations are doing: GSA is hosting a vigil at Los Angeles City Hall at 7 o'clock P.M. Their site provides individuals with an action guide offering tips on how you can honor King's life and how to mobilize and inform those in your community. Here is an excerpt: Inform:
- Ask your administration to let your Gay-Straight Alliance club make an announcement on the PA system asking for a 30 second vow of silence to remember Lawrence King. Include who he was and why remembering him is important for you and your school.
- Make an altar for Lawrence King to visually represent the violence LGBTQ students face. Ask to display it at school. Include the time and place where your GSA meets so students can get more involved with your club.
- Write a letter to your campus newspaper demanding that violence against LGBTQ people stop. Write about Lawrence King and why it’s important for your school to stand up to hate. Give the time and place where your GSA meets.
- Organize an anti-violence assembly at your school. Invite speakers who can either talk about Lawrence King’s live and death or about the violence in schools against LGBTQ youth.
- Work with other students or groups on campus to organize a “No Violence Week.” Have discussions, show movies, or make posters about the violence and bullying in our schools.
CaliforniaSpectrum Lawrence King Vigil Camarillo, California Friday, February 12, 2010 6:00 PM Location: California State University Chanel Islands Co-Sponsored By: Spectrum Center for Multicultural Engagement Center for Civic Engagement Housing and Education Questions: http://vcra.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=4520621&highlight=vigil firstname.lastname@example.org Remembering Larry Culver City, California Friday, February 12, 2010 All Day Location: 4401 Elenda St Co-Sponsored By: Culver City High School Gay Straight Alliance Remembering Lawrence King Los Angeles, California Friday, February 12, 2010 7:00pm Location: Los Angeles City Hall - South Steps On First St. between Main and Spring Co-Sponsored By: GSA Network Questions: www.gsanetwork.org/lawrenceking email@example.com 213.482.4021 Remember Lawrence King Los Banos, California Friday, February 12, 2010 3:30 Location: Los Banos High School Co-Sponsored By: Gay/Straight Alliance Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
IllinoisRemember Lawrence Mattoon, Illinois Friday, February 12, 2010 All Day Location: Lake Land College Co-Sponsored By: BGLADD (Bisexuals, Gays, Lesbians, and Allies to Develop Diversity) of Lake Land College, Mattoon, IL. Questions: http://www.myspace.com/b_gladd
MinnesotaEnd the Violence Blaine, Minnesota Friday, February 12, 2010 11:00 a.m - 1:00 p.m Location: Blaine High School Co-Sponsored By: Blaine High School Gay Straight Alliance
TexasTime for A Change presents: remembering Larry Southlake, Texas Friday, February 12, 2010 6:00 pm Location: Bicentennial park Co-Sponsored By: Time for A Change Questions: T4c.me Info.email@example.comM 214.578.0119
Virginia"I Love Larry" Arlington, Virginia Friday, February 12, 2010 All Day Location: Wakefield High School Co-Sponsored By: The Wakefield High School Gay & Lesbian Alliance Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org 703-228-6711 Candle Light Vigil Univ Richmond, Virginia Friday, February 12, 2010 6:30pm Location: Forum on Campus Co-Sponsored By: Student Alliance for Sexual Diversity Questions: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=292384489684&ref=mf email@example.com Register your event online here. The Ventura County Rainbow Alliance is hosting an event at California State University Channel Islands campus sponsored by Spectrum (the gay/straight student alliance), the Center for Multicultural Engagement, the Multicultural and Women’s & Gender Student Center, School of Education, Student Housing and the Center for Community Engagement. Learn more about their event here.