More than 1,500 New Yorkers gathered today in Manhattan to mourn the death of a 32 year-old gay man, who was shot down on Friday just blocks away from the historic Stonewall Inn in an apparent act of anti-gay bias.
ACT NOW: Protest Upcoming Concerts by Anti-Gay Reggae Singer Capleton
GLAAD was alerted this weekend that Capleton, a reggae singer who promotes violence against the LGBT community in his lyrics, has planned multiple concerts in California, Nevada and Florida in the coming weeks. A planned concert in Arcata, CA was cancelled
thanks to the efforts of local activists, Humboldt Against Hate. We urge you to expand this movement by contacting the concert promoters directly to express outrage that an artist whose lyrics promote the murder of gays and lesbians would be allowed to perform on their stages. Capleton has come under fire in the past for his virulently anti-gay lyrics such as "bun out ah chi chi, blood out a chi chi" ("burn out a queer, blood out a queer") and "shoulda know seh Capleton bun battyman, dem same fire apply to di lesbian" ("you should know that Capleton burns queers, the same fire applies to lesbians"). In 2007, Capleton joined other reggae singers, including Buju Banton, who signed onto the Reggae Compassionate Act (RCA), pledging to renounce and condemn violence against the LGBT community. Unfortunately, the RCA proved useless as Capleton has continued to sing anti-gay songs, spurring protests from LGBT activists. Last week, GLAAD joined the LA Gay & Lesbian Center to protest Buju Banton's Grammy nomination for Best Reggae Album and we urge you now to speak out against Capleton's upcoming concerts. Capleton will be headlining the following shows:
- February 17 at the Downtown Brewing Company (San Luis Obispo, CA). To contact the Downtown Brewing Company, please call (805) 543-1843 or email email@example.com
- February 18 at the Tahoe Biltmore (Crystal Bay, NV). To contact the Tahoe Biltmore, please call (775) 831-0660
- February 27 at Bayfront Park (Miami, FL). To contact Bayfront Park, please call (305) 358-7550
Capleton will also be taking part in the Tribute to the Legends concert on February 15 at the San Diego Sports Arena and the 2010 Ragga Muffins Festival February 20 at the Fox Theatre in Oakland, CA and February 21 at the Long Beach Arena in Long Beach, CA. No other known anti-gay reggae artists are performing at these events.
- To contact the Tribute to the Legends concert about Capleton's February 15 appearance, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. To contact the San Diego Sports Arena, please call: (619) 224-4171
- To contact the Ragga Muffins Festival about Capleton's February 20/21 appearances, please email: email@example.com. To contact the Fox Theatre, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. To contact the Long Beach Arena press relations, please call: (562) 499-7508.