GLAAD just released this statement by President Jarrett Barrios calling on the nation's media to focus on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people and couples in covering the results and aftermath of yesterday’s votes in Maine, Washington state and Kalamazoo, Michigan. In Maine, voters eliminated the state’s marriage equality law, which was passed by the state legislature and signed by Gov. John Baldacci earlier this year.
“We are disappointed and disheartened by results in Maine, where we saw marriage equality eliminated for loving and committed couples."In Kalamazoo, Mich., voters approved a nondiscrimination ordinance that covers sexual orientation and gender identity and prevents gay and transgender people from being fired from their jobs for being openly gay or transgender.
“In Kalamazoo, Mich., fairness prevailed. Voters sent a message that all hardworking people should be treated fairly and have the chance to earn a living and provide for themselves and their families without fear of being fired for reasons that have nothing to do with their job performance.”In Washington state, first-day election returns on Referendum 71 showed that a majority of voters are backing the state’s expanded domestic partnership law. Full results are not yet known because ballots did not have to be received by Election Day, only postmarked by Election Day.
“We are encouraged by these early results that Washington voters support advancing important legal protections to all Washingtonians,” continued Barrios.Please check back in National News for a media recap later in the day.
- GLAAD - Statement by GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios on 2009 Election Results in Maine, Washington and Kalamazoo, Mich.
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force - Kalamazoo vote on nondiscrimination ordinance a 'victory for fairness', Marriage equality goes down in Maine
- Family Equality Council - Nondiscrimination Ordinance passes in Kalamazoo, Michigan, Maine voters overturn marriage equality
- GLAD - GLAD Deplores Rejection of Marriage Equality for Same-Sex Couples
- Approve Ref. 71 - Voters affirming domestic partnerships for gay and lesbian families
- HRC - Kalamazoo Votes for Fair Employment, Maine Families Denied Protections in Marriage Vote