*NOTE: For information on how to participate in a local rally tonight, please visit: http://www.dayofdecision.com*
GLAAD just released this statement by President Neil G. Giuliano on today's decision by the California Supreme Court to uphold Proposition 8, the anti-gay ballot initiative that eliminated the ability of same-sex couples to marry in California:
Today, we express our deepest disappointment in the California Supreme Court's decision, which continues to deprive an entire class of Californians the fundamental freedom to marry.
Thankfully, the court has protected the marriages of the more than 18,000 gay and lesbian couples who married before Nov. 5, 2008. It is vital that media outlets not only share these couples' stories, but also those of the many gay people and couples in California who have again been denied the fundamental right to marry.
It is wrong to stand in the way of giving committed couples the legal protections they need to take care of and be responsible for each other and their families. We thank the National Center for Lesbian Rights, the City of San Francisco and the other counsel and plaintiff couples for their steadfast advocacy and commitment to fairness and opportunity for all Californians.
glaadBLOG will be monitoring and posting media coverage of the decision in the next few hours and days.
*UPDATE - Media Coverage of the decision is below:
- MSNBC New Live - California Upholds Prop. 8
- Fox News: CA Supreme Court Upholds Gay Marriage Ban Known as Prop. 8
- CNN: CNN Newsroom - Same-Sex Marriage Battle
Los Angeles Times
News 10 (ABC)
The San Francisco Examiner
The San Francisco Chronicle
Gay City News
New York Daily News
Windy City Times
Pam's House Blend
Joe my God
The Bilerico Project
- GLAAD - GLAAD expresses deepest disappointment in prop 8 decision, GLAAD expresa su más sincera desilusión sobre la decisión emitida para mantener en efecto la proposición 8
- The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force - Task Force profoundly disappointed in California decision upholding Proposition 8
- Lambda Legal - Court upholds Prop 8; State continues to recognize 18,000 marriages
- National Center for Lesbian Rights - United we mourn, united we stand
- Integrity USA - Integrity appalled by California Supreme Court ruling
- Courage Campaign - Courage Campaign disappointed by Supreme Court ruling to uphold Prop. 8
- Human Rights Campaign - California Supreme Court takes a step back from equality
- Family Equality Council - Family Equality Council turns to the future after disappointing Prop 8 ruling
- Freedom to Marry - California Supreme Court fails to overturn Proposition 8
- PFLAG - As California Court upholds Proposition 8, parents and allies vow to continue to work for marriage equality