Eyes Are on Vermont Today
On Monday, Vermont Governor Jim Douglas vetoed the bill passed by the both branches of the legislature, which allowed gay marriage in the state. Minutes after his veto, Senate leaders promised to override it, with only one member planning on rejecting to the measure. Today, all eyes are on the House, which is expected to take up the gay marriage bill at 10:30am this morning.
*UPDATE: Burlington Free Press: Vt. legalizes gay marriage with veto override
*UPDATE: GLAAD President Issues Statement:
Today’s decision is an important step, and affirms the enduring commitment of so many gay and lesbian couples in Vermont. As people come to know the stories of the couples at the heart of these decisions, we are seeing the kind of culture change that creates this progress – progress that ensures that all people, regardless of their orientation, are protected equally under the law.
GLAAD encourages media reporting on this story to include the stories of these Vermont couples whose love and commitment is at the center of today's vote.
NECN: Anna Huneke, Montpelier, VT - Vermont becomes fourth state to legalize gay marriage
CNN: Campbell Brown: No Bias, No Bull - Same-Sex Marriage Allowed:
Fox News: Special Report with Bret Baier - Marriage in VT and DC:
MSNBC: Hardball with Chris Matthews - Vermont Becomes 4th State to Legalize Gay Marriage:
MSNBC: The Rachel Maddow Show - I Now Pronounce You Ben & Jerry:
- WPTZ Plattsburgh - Vermont Legislature Legalizes Gay Marriage
- Washington Blade- Vt. lawmakers override marriage veto
- The Atlantic Online - Legislature legalizes gay marriage in Vermont
- USA Today - Vermont approves gay marriage
- Reuters - Vermont passes gay-marriage bill
- AP - Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override
- WCAX - Vermont legalizes gay marriage
- The Advocate - Same sex marriage legalized in Vermont
- New York Times - Vermont legalizes gay marriage
- VPR - Vermont fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage
- Gay City News - Marriage equality law enacted in Vermont
- CNN - With veto overrides, Vermont legalizes same-sex marriage
- New York Times - With victories, gay rights groups expand marriage push
- USA Today - Vt. overrides marriage veto
- VPR - Series and Stories: The path to same-sex marriage
- The Washington Post - Readers disagree on gay marriage
- AP - Gay marriage laws in the US, Gay marriage supporters watch historic vote in Vt
- Bennington Banner - Vermont legalizes gay marriage with override vote
- The Christian Science Monitor - As gay marriage terrain changes, shrugs across Patchwork Nation
- Boston Globe - Vermont legalizes same-sex marriage
- Seattle Times - Vermont lifts drive for gay marriage
- Los Angeles Times - Vermont legislature gives final ok to gay marriage
- CNN - Same-sex marriage rights a step closer in District of Columbia
- Burlington Free Press - Gay marriage: how the new law works
- Capital News 9 - New York lawmakers react to Vermont gay marriage bill
- The Atlantic - The role of the courts
- WCAX - Implementing same-sex marriage
- La Figa @ FireDog Lake - Vermont: Same Sex Marriage Passes! Historic Moment as Legislature Overthrows Governor’s Veto
- HRC Back Story - Victory! Vermont votes for marriage equality!
- Lez Get Real - Veto overridden - Vermont passes marriage equality!
- The Bilerico Project - VT becomes the 4th state in the nation to embrace marriage equality!
- Pam's House Blend - Vermont overrules Douglas veto!!!
- The Bilerico Project- Reflecting on Vermont
- Joe.My.God. - Vermont APPROVES marriage equality!, Vermonters really earned their freedom to marry today
- Mombian - Marriage Equality in Vermont: Legislature Votes to Override Governor’s Veto
- Pam's House Blend - Vermont rules! Blog post from Marc Solomon
- Women on the Web - Vermont's gay marriage decision reignites the right
- GLAAD - GLAAD Applauds Vermont Marriage
- Vermont Freedom to Marry - House overrides the veto
- Human Rights Campaign - Human Rights Campaign Applauds Vermont Legislature's Historic Vote Recognizing Marriage for Lesbian and Gay Couples
- Freedom to Marry - Vermont ends gay couples' exclusion from marriage
- PFLAG - PFLAG praises historic Vermont vote on marriage equality
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force - National Gay and Lesbian Task Force hails enactment of Vermont legislation granting the freedom to marry to same-sex couples
- Victory Fund - Victory Fund congratulates Vermont's LGBT legislators on historic marriage vote
- National Center for Lesbian Rights - The National Center for Lesbian Rights hails Vermont marriage victory