Breaking news from the DesMoines Register:
The Iowa Supreme Court this morning unanimously upheld gays’ right to marry.
“The Iowa statute limiting civil marriage to a union between a man and a woman violates the equal protection clause of the Iowa Constitution,” the justices said in a summary of their decision.Read the full story here - http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090403/NEWS/90403010 *UPDATE: GLAAD issued a press release on news of the ruling:
"Today's ruling affirms that loving, committed gay and lesbian couples should no longer be excluded from marriage," said GLAAD President Neil G. Giuliano. "GLAAD congratulates and expresses our deepest appreciation to One Iowa, Lambda Legal, the Interfaith Alliance of Iowa, and the other organizations, leaders and courageous couples whose work and perseverance culminated in today's ruling."
"GLAAD urges local and national media reporting on this historic story to ground their coverage in the stories of the Iowa couples whose enduring commitment is at the heart of today's decision," Giuliano concluded.*UPDATE: MSNBC News Live covers the Iowa ruling with justice correspondent Pete Williams: issue joint statement:
“Thanks to today’s decision, Iowa continues to be a leader in guaranteeing all of our citizens’ equal rights.
“The court has ruled today that when two Iowans promise to share their lives together, state law will respect that commitment, regardless of whether the couple is gay or straight.
“When all is said and done, we believe the only lasting question about today’s events will be why it took us so long. It is a tough question to answer because treating everyone fairly is really a matter of Iowa common sense and Iowa common decency.*UPDATE: CNN reports on the ruling on marriage in Iowa as well the bill just passed in VT.: covers Iowa marriage ruling press conference: *UPDATE: Culver, Harkin react to Iowa Supreme Court decision *UPDATE: Iowa State Senator Matt McCoy, the first openly gay member of the Iowa Legislature, describes why he thinks Iowa won't to backwards on marriage rights.
- CNN - Iowa high court strikes down same-sex marriage ban
- MSNBC (AP) - Iowa gay marriage ban ruled unconstitutional
- Des Moines Register - Gay marriage opponents push for action from lawmakers
- Washington Monthly - Marriage equality advances in Iowa, Vermont
- 365 Gay - Iowa Supreme Court strikes down gay marriage ban
- New York Times - Iowa court says gay marriage ban is unconstitutional
- Wall Street Journal - Iowa court paves way for gay marriage
- USA Today - Iowa court upholds gay marriage
- AP - Iowa court ruling transforms the gay-marriage map
- Washington Post - Iowa, same sex marriage and the 2012 presidential race
- Pam's House Blend - The Iowa Family Policy Center tries to distance itself from the marriage=bestiality crowd
- The Bilerico Project - Iowa legalizes gay marriage, First thoughts on Iowa marriage decision, Defend Iowa, Compare and contrast
- One Iowa - Historic Victory for Marriage Equality in Iowa!
- Lambda Legal - Iowa Supreme Court unanimously rules in favor of marriage for same-sex couples in Lambda Legal's historic lawsuit
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force - Task Force hails historic Iowa Supreme Court ruling granting the freedom to marry to same-sex couples
- Family Equality Council - Family Equality Council thrilled by historic Iowa marriage ruling
- Human Rights Campaign - Iowa becomes first Midwestern state to recognize marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples
- People for the American Way - People for the American Way Foundation celebrates decision affirming constitutional principles of liberty and equality
- National Center for Lesbian Rights - The National Center for Lesbian Rights hails Iowa marriage victory
- PFLAG - PFLAG applauds Iowa marriage decision
Iowa Supreme Court Marriage Ruling